Time to ask this... Is it normal for heaphones to make noises when PC loading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm66554

Baseband Member
My headphones make scratch/squeeking noises in response to tasks my computer does... such as loading something in the background or (on xp) minimizing/maximizing windows, is this normal and is there a way to get rid of it (maybe by upgrading the soundcard)?

Hi,

This is very common, unfortunately. It can be attributed to poor audio equipment, and various sources of interference; a common one being ground loops.

Are you using on-board audio? High pitched 'squeaking' and 'scratching' sounds which seem to correlate with processor loads and hard drive activity are usually caused by interference received by the audio device, from components in the system itself, whereas constant hums are usually caused by ground loops. I'd suggest purchasing a good quality discrete / dedicated sound card. Creative make good sound cards. You might also want to try another set of headphones, as suggested by Peresveit.

If you are using onboard sound, get a sound card. If it is a sound card, get a better one.

Along with that, do you get this feedback if you do not have your head phones plugged in?

well its always done it as far as i remember... on both my pc and laptop, with different headphones. Now i just noticed win 7 does it when I scroll over the taskbar icons (a quiet deep clicking grasshopper sound).

no the sound comes through the headphones

and yeah im using on board soundcard (SupremeFX X-Fi) I haven't tweaked anything in volume control.

And yeah I ordered a hi quality firewire interface earlier today so maybe the noises will finally be gone.

Have you tried removing the headphones to see if it still happens? If it is only the headphones, then try a different set. Could be that you are using a low quality set. Might not need to get a new card.

I have never heard this sound over all the years i have used a PC. But then again i only use higher quality headphones. Cheapest pair i ever bought was $60.

I've always used cheap headphones... i.e. the noise-cancelling in-ear ones, they cost me no more than £7.

I bought some beyerdynamic DT250s earlier along with the sound card so hopefully one or the other will eliminate the noises.

Well i can say this. You cant expect a cheap set of head phones to cancel out all the noise. You get what you pay for. If you pay lowest cost, you get lowest quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom