These speakers are pretty good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ml1209

Solid State Member
I just bought these from Wal-mart tonight. They are 2.0 speakers for $59.97 plus tax.

0002661602563500x500am4.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5044151

Philips MMS321 speakers, which I can't find on anyone else's website. No subwoofer, but each speaker is rated for 20W, total system power 40W, with peak at 80W.

There are no controls on these speakers for bass or treble, just the volume. I like the look of these with their brushed metal face, and black trim and housing. Very understated and elegant.

But the bottom line is they sound GREAT for a 2.0 system. Bass is strong, and the music coming out is crisp and clean. You won't mistake these for a 2.1 system, though, but if you want a small footprint and no sub to deal with, these are hard to beat. The only other 2.0 speakers I would get would be the Creative Gigaworks T20 speakers, but they are sold at around $40 more.

The only thing I didn't like about the Philips MMS321 system is that the amplifier on the power cord is HUGE. I mean it's a monster, about the size of a Holy Bible.

Considering the price and the quality of sound, though, that's a minor quibble. I wonder why it is not more readily available. Newegg doesn't carry Philips PC speakers, and most the reviews I found on the web on it were from the UK.

Overall, I am happy with this purchase.

Here is a link to the Amazon page on it.
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-MMS321-Channel-Multimedia-Speakers/dp/B000FCN6SG

And here is a Youtube video of someone demonstrating their MMS321 speakers. (Pretty impressive)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhaqQc4ZjYQ&watch_response

Dayum bro, you got ripped.

For $10 more you could have picked up these bad boys from Fry's like I did tonight.

54002.jpg

The subwoofer hits like you wouldn't believe!! The mids and highs are nice, although I could use a bit more in the way of midbass, but there wasn't another set of speakers within $50 of these that sounded even close to as good as these do.

I didn't want a subwoofer. I was looking specifically for a 2.0 system since I already have a good one for my desktop.

The above Philips set was for my laptop.

But I am always eager to hear about other people's recommendations. I'll keep that Philips 2.1 system in mind, and check it out at Frys's later.

ml1209 said:
I didn't want a subwoofer. I was looking specifically for a 2.0 system since I already have a good one for my desktop.

The above Philips set was for my laptop.

But I am always eager to hear about other people's recommendations. I'll keep that Philips 2.1 system in mind, and check it out at Frys's later.
Ah, that makes sense. I guess the 2.1 system would be a bit much for a laptop

Crysalis said:
lol - both of those are pretty.... lets just say.... bad
In comparison to the Bose Companion 3 system, true story.

Name a better performing set of speakers for the PC than the one's I listed for the price of $69.99

Are you trying to suggest that the Bose Companion 3 are any good?

K M A N said:
Logitech X-230's, There. Done.

Oh really? I seen those at Fry's yesterday but they didn't have any on display, I may have to check try those out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom