Switching between headphone/speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy0527

Solid State Member
Ok Im interested in buying some speakers to listen to music freely without the dependency of headphones. However is it possible to switch between Headphones/Speakers without unplugging them? Do I need a program or a switch thing? thanks a lot for any helo :D [edit] my headphones plug into the green/someother color slot in the back of my sound card and would i have to buy USB speakers cause of this? and do any speakers come with something built in to allow me to switch to headphones easily?

mine, logitech z-560, has a handphone jack in its soundtouch control. so you can switch listen between speakers or headphone.

some speakers have a headphone input on them which work independent of the headphones you plug into them. or you can take a y splitter and plug speakers into one end and headphone into the other. Which is what i do until I find a soundcard with a optical 6.1 surround output.

mrzeeedler, does a "Y" cable weaken your sound? I've heard this before, but it just may be a myth. Also, where did you get your cable for this?

I use my 5.1 speakers during the day and headphones at night so I don't wake the neighbors with my blaring music or movie watching. It's too much of a hassle to switch the jacks on my soundcard whenever I use the other.

One solution I've come up with requires that you have a two sound devices. Any soundcard (connected to speaker system) and on-board sound (for headphones) on your motherboard. When you want to use headphones, just switch your default sound-device to the other. In windows XP you can even make a shortcut icon for it.

it does distribute the signal so there is a bit of loss but not much. you can get it at most electronics stores like radio shack, best buy, circuit city

Thanks, ekÆsine.

Yeah, I guess it may weaken the sound a bit, but it doesn't really hurt anything, right?

With 6 speakers, there's plenty of means of output. The output on the soundcard that I'd be splitting provides sound to just two of these speakers.

Yeah it doesnt really weaken it that much its not outputing power but rather sound waves so its okay. Only cost a few bucks or so. ALso if you have a 5.1 output which means like 3 cables? just split the headphones onto the front ones or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom