Super sensitive 3.5mm microphone? Any suggestions?

Jayce

Fully Optimized
So... Jayce is going to be a daddy! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

With that said, I'm already thinking ahead of time for what kind of baby monitor setup we could use. Considering that actual baby monitors are outrageously expensive, I began to think what in the video surveillance realm would work. We have a wireless indoor PTZ camera (Foscam fi8918w) that we set up when we're gone on vacation, just so I can pop in remotely and make sure things are okay. I want to utilize this camera as an audio/video baby monitor. Here's my plan:

Camera in baby room. Wirelessly streams over the network. In our bedroom will be a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian, hooked up to a small HDMI monitor with built in speakers (for minimal wiring and fuss, etc). Then we just launch VLC and run the network stream. That way we have a cheap but very effective baby monitor.

The only catch is, the audio is *terrible*. I don't think it's a fault of the camera though, but I'm not sure just yet. It has a microphone jack on it. I have a headset that has a removable microphone, so I just popped it off and stuck it in the camera. It works, sure, but if the baby isn't making a complete crazy out-of-this-world whaling noise, the microphone won't pick it up. Once I get a few inches away from it I have to be pretty loud for it to even pick up what I said, and even when it plays it, it's super quiet. I halfway believe this is due to the fact this microphone is made for a headset, and not for all around room-sized noise.

I'm digging around for a microphone that is 3.5mm (no USB, since the camera doesn't have USB ports) that's very sensitive and of course, cheaper the better.

I have a feeling that what I'm asking is backwards to what most people want, since most people want noise cancelling features, etc. Not me. I want to hear it all. Any suggestions?

Maybe an omni-directional mic? Can get converters to go from XLR to 3.5mm I believe. If not directly, you can do XLR > 1/4" > 3.5mm

Back
Top Bottom