Subwoofer Hum

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, it's amplified, not passive

ok so it's all connected right the reciver sub's and speaker's are all working fine,im guessing it might be a problem with the AMP it's self,im not sure though,dont know much about home theater system's.or you could of just gotting a faluty unit.or a wire might be striped but i dont think that'll make a huming noise.so yeah other AMP or a faluty unit is what i'll guse.

hmm, I kind of doubt that. This seems to be a relatively common problem, I've had this before on other systems.

Eric, Crysalis?

hmm, I kind of doubt that. This seems to be a relatively common problem, I've had this before on other systems.

Eric, Crysalis?

hmmm ok than what else might be the problem?.what are you trying to play it through.your computer? or an xbox 360? or an PS3?.could it be the cable your useing.

It is low 60hz bass type of hum or is a guitar amp type buss that you hear?

a lot of these new class g amps (class d efficiency, class ab fidelity) have interference issues due to their design.

some fixes is grounding them at the same place or just breaking your ground wire off (although you lose ground protection in this setup)

a lot of these new class g amps (class d efficiency, class ab fidelity) have interference issues due to their design.

some fixes is grounding them at the same place or just breaking your ground wire off (although you lose ground protection in this setup)

If it were do to a ground loop, I was going to suggest using an isolation transformer. An UPS with AVR would be perfect for this. I have all my computers and electronics protected this way.

it can be a million different things. do you have them plug up in the same wall outlet? is the sub amp class d or g?

try plugging this on it and plugging it up to see if it goes away. break off that little tip first

RadioShack.com - Power & Batteries: Surge protectors & power cords: Power & extension cords: 3-Prong Grounding Adapter-2-Pack

The plug on it is actually only 2 prong to begin with. It's plugged into an outlet separate from the rest of my equipment, but it's probably on the same circuit.

I'm not sure what class the sub's amp is, I couldn't find it anywhere.

main causes for humming subs

could also be that the sub is faulty, but I wouldn't put it down to that unless I had a totally clean circuit (0.000000000v ground, and a perfectly clean power supply powering the sub)
could ALSO be that you have a dodgy inductor inside the sub, they buzz especially as they get older. Can you pinpoint exactly where the buzzing seems to be coming from?

This is interference or ground issue. All of your equipment should have the SAME ground. If your house doesn't have a ground, then you aren't going to get rid of it (at least easily). The equipment needs to be on the same circuit (multiple outlets can be on the same circuit, so you need to find which ones are one which circuit) and need to have the same ground or else you'll get whats called 60hz AC hum. You're satellite speakers are not giving this off because of the crossover eliminating that to your sub only. If anything, you MAY hear a slight buzz in the other speakers, but not likely.

Easiest test for this: Make sure all sources (TV, DVD, etc) and all equipment are in the same outlet. Careful not to pop a breaker doing this. Just buy a power strip and use the same outlet. If the problem ends, you have ground issues. If it persists, you have amplifier and/or cable interference.

Interference: Get a 4-6' SHIELDED cable and run it to your receiver. If hum persists, the internal amplifier in the sub is faulty. Could be its own ground is off, or its simply failing. Also, check all fuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom