sub placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshd

Fully Optimized
am i right in saying they should be sort of out in the open?

mine is under my desk, in a sort of compartment, made by the wall, and the sides of the draws of the desk.

it seems to reverberate quite nastily.

there isnt really anywhere else i could put it, unless i really move things around. would it make alot of difference if i moved it?

edit: is ON the desk a good idea?

I guess having it in a tight compartmnt is gonna make it reverberate as it its gonna come straight out and bouce around your walls and desk. You just wanna find a place where you can give it the least unobstructed view. On your desk it might rattle things depending on your desk, whats on your desk and what is coming out of the sub and how loud. But just go by trial and error.

is it vibrating stuff or actually reverberating certain bass frequencies?

bass is almost always non-directional meaning if you placed it facing away from you, it wouldnt be any quieter than if it was facing you...so placement doesn't make a big difference as long as it's in the listener's general vicinity....just dont put it on your desk lol.

many subs are actually designed to make use of desk nooks and walls to enhance the bass response. if you're getting bad reverberation at certain frequencies, it might help to move the sub, but probably not. It generally has to do with the shape of the room as most rooms are not designed for good acoustical quality.

look for an EQ for your media player or sound card that can adjust that frequency (commonly around 80-100 hz) lower to compensate.

experiment with diff. frequencies and trust your ears

WOW.

Molsen has it again! EricB, i think we've got a new friend!!! LOL

He is exactly right... the subs are using your desk as a resonator, but it sounds to me like its doing it at the wrong frequencies. Your desk is probably enhancing the freq's you dont want to hear as much as the deep punchy bass.

try moving it around a bit... if not in that enclosure, then try just putting it on the floor by your feet if theres room. If the sub is magnetically shieled, you could put it on your desk (mine is... sounds good enough)

umm, there isnt really a feasible place to put it apart from under the desk. it sounds fine when i am sitting at the desk, but if you go further away, outside my door for example, it sounds a bit reverby. so i suppose its fine. doesnt need to sound good for anyne else, lol

hey man, that's my motto lots of times. who cares what it sounds like to other people? if it sounds good to you where you listen to it, then you're set.

my stereo bass sounds crazy loud outside my room also, but no biggie. i turn the bass down if i play it really loud so i can hear it in the other room.

Crysalis said:
WOW.

Molsen has it again! EricB, i think we've got a new friend!!! LOL

He is exactly right... the subs are using your desk as a resonator, but it sounds to me like its doing it at the wrong frequencies. Your desk is probably enhancing the freq's you dont want to hear as much as the deep punchy bass.

try moving it around a bit... if not in that enclosure, then try just putting it on the floor by your feet if theres room. If the sub is magnetically shieled, you could put it on your desk (mine is... sounds good enough)

Yes. Molsen seems to know his audio. Do we have another audiophile, Molsen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom