Strange sound problems Low Sound/Popping Sound/LOUD sound - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Technology > Computer Audio and Multimedia
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Strange sound problems Low Sound/Popping Sound/LOUD sound

I have had sound issues for quite a while now. I bought a new asus board and CPU and ram and upgraded my computer. I used the onboard sound on my other mother board so I figured I would use the SOUNDMAX on the asus.

Well this is when I get some strange issues. For starters the overall sound volume is low, and It no longer will get very loud at all. Like something is preventing it from going to 100% volume.

Another problem is there is popping sounds, as if it's turning on, or accessing full volume momentarily. And then sometimes the sound volume will jump WAAAY UP for like a few seconds, and then back down again. This back and forth jumping can be quite annoying if it does it a lot.

The thing is when the volume jumps up really high, that is actually where the normal volume should be. Something is interfering with my sound card's ability to utilize full volume.

I also bought a XFI sound card and I got the same problems as before with the new mobo onboard sound. So it's safe to assume the driver for the sound card is not the issue. But I am really not sure what is doing this.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

First you should make sure to disable the onboard sound from the BIOS. After that you should also remove teh drivers. Run Driver Cleaner Pro.

Driver Cleaner Professional download from Guru3D.com

That should leave only the Creative drivers. See if there is still a conflict.

To use the program is simple. Select the option for multiple drivers. Then pick the drivers for your onboard. Be it realtek or soundmx and then click the add button. The select Creative to get rid of those drivers as well. Add those. Start it. Let it run. Will prompt you when it is finished. Reboot.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-20-2008, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Send a message via MSN to Oreo
Default Re: Strange sound problems Low Sound/Popping Sound/LOUD sound

Soundslike your speakers arn't getting a steady regulated power. Speakers commonly 'pop' if they have a small power surge, like switching a light on (this happens to my speakers) or even changing the power setting on my fan, the mostpowerfull settings creates the largest pop.

I don't think there getting enough power for some reason/ or to much. What speakers are they, try plugging them straight into a wall socket if there running off a power cable extender. Or maybe get a surge protector. That's all i can think of.