Strange Problem - Cannot get mp3 or wma files to play but wav files will play..read - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Technology > Computer Audio and Multimedia
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Strange Problem - Cannot get mp3 or wma files to play but wav files will play..read

Ok this is a strange problem I ran into while trying to help a friend fix his computer. He has alot of downloaded audio files that he has paid for threw a few different sources. Some of which or .rax files I know all about those. Yet the remainder of the audio files are just plain mp3 or wma files. When you click on any of these files to play it or open these files in Winamp or Windows Media Player , it will recognize the track name and display that but makes no attempt at playing the track (as in no relapsed time etc). I tried converting one of the mp3s to a wav file and it played just fine. So I know that the actual file does have the audio in it and its not corrupted I just for the life of me cannot figure out why these files will not play. I have updated both drivers and software. Does anyone have any suggestions , has anyone had this problem before , does anyone know how to fix this?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Old 04-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Strange Problem - Cannot get mp3 or wma files to play but wav files will play..re

Reinstall windows. Or use alternative players. VLC does music too. MusicKube
and lots of others.

Try reinstalling WMP and winamp. Or maybe those songs are DRM'd which will only play under certain circumstances.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Strange Problem - Cannot get mp3 or wma files to play but wav files will play..re

Itunes seems to be the best player for me, but i dont think its free..
Old 04-09-2007, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the replies..

I have tried other music players...It is something to do with the actual .mp3's

They are recognized in every player but never actual attempt to play?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Systems Engineer

Send a message via AIM to Crysalis

update codecs
Old 04-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I still cannot get this problem fixed does anyone have any other suggestions on what may be wrong and how to fix it? There has to be a way to fix this issue without having to reformat or reinstall windows.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by afulls04 View Post
I still cannot get this problem fixed does anyone have any other suggestions on what may be wrong and how to fix it? There has to be a way to fix this issue without having to reformat or reinstall windows.
upload one of those songs through yousendit.com. post the link here so we can analyze it
Old 04-20-2007, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

try using audacity to open the mp3's, and maybe export them as mp3's again. mite work.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 04-23-2007, 04:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

I'd suggest trying to download an audio codec pack. I don't really know of any specifically that contain all audio codecs, but I know the nimo codec pack contains various audio and video ones and is worth a shot.

Free-Codecs.com :: Download Nimo Codec Pack 5.0 build 9 B1 : You have here ALL YOU NEED to play DivX movies in perfect conditions using Nimo Codec Pack 5.0 build 9 B1

Closed Thread