Strange headset issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenement Funster

Beta member
Okay, this problem begins way back when.

I've got a Creative HS-400 headset, the kind with the green and pink connectors. My keyboard has slots in the back of it for the green and pink connectors (which I've always been using), and the USB cord for the keyboard itself splits off in to more green and pink wires that I put in the back of my computer. My speakers are connected in the top of the computer.

Now, when I first set it up sound would always come out of both the speakers and the headset, which is perfect. Once I finally decided to get Vista SP1 sound would only come out of one of them. I have a Realtek sound card and would use the audio manager software it comes with to change where the sound comes from.This was fine, just a little more inconvenient.

Recently something happened and now it's really difficult to get sound to come out of the headset. My audio software has two relevant settings: "Mute the rear output device, when a front headphone plugged in." and "Make front and rear output devices playback two different audio streams simultaneously." Previously, the first option would mute my headphones and play everything through speakers, and the second option would play everything through the headphones (it wouldn't play two audio streams like it says). Now the sound ALWAYS comes out of my speakers. I can occasionally get programs like Skype to use the headphones for it's own sound, but everything else will always go through speakers.

There's nothing wrong with the headset, the mic works fine and I've tested out the headphones portion and nothing is wrong with it. Nothing is wrong with the speaker/mic cords coming out of the keyboard either. My drivers are up to date too.

Anyone know anything that could help me get it back to the way it was (preferably how it was before I installed SP1)?

Sorry if this is a bit long and hard to understand; it's a really strange issue.

hi ok you could try going to start control panel sounds and check what is going on in there also check in device manager for any problems or uninstall and reinstall drivers

I have done that. When looking through Vista's sound options, I saw that when I use the Realtek Audio software option "Make front and rear output devices playback two different audio streams simultaneously," Vista's sound thing says the sound is actually coming through the headphones, but it's still coming from just speakers. Then when I set it to "Mute the rear output device, when a front headphone plugged in," it doesn't even recognize that my headphones are plugged in, but it always recognizes the mic plugged in the headphones!

This should go to the Audio n Multimedia section, those guys are bawla.

My only suggestion is to find your audio output selections in individual programs. Everything may be coming out of the speakers because all the programs you are using are directed to that out put.

Vista does not support direct sound any more which is why it worked before.

Theres really no way around this outside of a different OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom