Storing all my music

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark33

In Runtime
Hi there again people,

I am in the process of digitising all my music and a thought occurred to me. Itunes stores my music on the main partition (being c:\docs and settings etc) - nothing unusual here but what if all my music exceeded the size of the partition, is it possible for the application (in this case Itunes) - to store them in my other partitions or external HD?

- Im assuming that Itunes only allows you to store your music in the folder that's automatically set up after installation, be it - an itunes folder inside my documents/my music. If that assumption is wrong, then can someone advice or point me in the right direction,

:)

I would store all your music yourself, organize it into folders and put it on an external HDD where it can all be in one place. After it is all on the PC then tell iTunes (or Windows Media Player, Songbird, etc, whatever your favorite media app is) to scan that folder and import all your songs. I think that's the most organized way to do it.

Also, with an external HDD you can afford to rip at higher quality, even full quality. I just converted my library to FLAC (lossless, it is perfect quality and CD's burned from it are identical, mp3 and the likes all compress the sound and lose quality). I organized it by /<Artist>/<Album>/<track> <name>.flac for every song. Consistency is good when organizing files.

Im assuming that Itunes only allows you to store your music in the folder that's automatically set up after installation, be it - an itunes folder inside my documents/my music. If that assumption is wrong, then can someone advice or point me in the right direction.

Hello,

Your iTunes Library folder can be in any location on the hard drive. You can move your existing iTunes Library, or create a new one, in another location (on the same or different partition).

Once you've moved the iTunes Library folder to another location, go to Start > All Programs > iTunes then keep hold of the 'shift' key and click on the iTunes icon to run the program. Keep hold of the shift key until you see the 'Choose iTunes Library' dialogue box. Next, click on 'Choose Library...' and browse to the new location. Alternatively, you can choose the new location in iTunes preferences in the 'Advanced' tab.

Note that this will only move audio files in the iTunes Library folder. So, if you haven't set iTunes to 'Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library', and the music files which you manually import into the library are located and stored in a different directory managed by yourself, then you'll need to move that directory as well, then rebuild your library by re-importing the songs from the new location into iTunes.

Hello,

Your iTunes Library folder can be in any location on the hard drive. You can move your existing iTunes Library, or create a new one, in another location (on the same or different partition).

Once you've moved the iTunes Library folder to another location, go to Start > All Programs > iTunes then keep hold of the 'shift' key and click on the iTunes icon to run the program. Keep hold of the shift key until you see the 'Choose iTunes Library' dialogue box. Next, click on 'Choose Library...' and browse to the new location. Alternatively, you can choose the new location in iTunes preferences in the 'Advanced' tab.

Note that this will only move audio files in the iTunes Library folder. So, if you haven't set iTunes to 'Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library', and the music files which you manually import into the library are located and stored in a different directory managed by yourself, then you'll need to move that directory as well, then rebuild your library by re-importing the songs from the new location into iTunes.

this is one good way and here's the another

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-keep-winxp-really-fast-stable-156582/

by moving the document folder it's already stored to another partition and itunes will automatically put them there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom