Stereo Setup Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
Over my holiday, and long hours of listening through good ear buds and headphones i realised my Z5500 pc speakers were not suitable for my needs... i then remembered the amazeing sound of the Hi-Fi in our kitchen, a 130pounds Speaker,Cdplayer and radio combo. That got me thinking how good a more expensive system would sound, so i came up with this :)

CD Player > MARANTZ CD5001OSE-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Amplifier > CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR340A-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Stereo Speakers > WHARFEDALE 9.1-CHE at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Or... MORDAUNT SHORT 902I-CAL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

I know what your probably thinking... Wharfedale are rubbish, pure mediocrecy when it comes to speakers. So now, go ahead, read the reviews. People reccomend them above everything within the price range, and above.

Quote: The Diamond 9.1 had two attributes that floored me:
1) Extraordinary resolution of detail in the midrange, with no trace of coloration. Low-level dynamic articulations in this region were subtle and linear, and the speaker's ability to render soundstage cues, ambience, and hall sound were what I would expect from a speaker costing $2000/pair or more.
2) A refined, delicate, and detailed presentation of high-frequency articulation, with no trace of either hardness or softness and with a perfect replication of transients.

Any comments, thoughts, ideas are needed. Thanks !

You know you can just get a studio monitor setup, for around the same price? Connected directly to your pc using an external audio interface, so you can omit the cd player and amplifier, since you can get biamplified monitors.

You know you can just get a studio monitor setup, for around the same price? Connected directly to your pc using an external audio interface, so you can omit the cd player and amplifier, since you can get biamplified monitors.

Nah, sorry. I just want a proper system, one amplifier, two speakers, and a CD player. Maybe stereo monitor speakers instead of bookshelf... but not the whole bi amplified and external audio crap.

Edit !!: I just took a look at monitor speakers.. they look so nice, maybe you could explain it ;). But not if its going to cost anymore than the system i already posted, or sound worse.

Quite alot of people...

Wharfedale is actually renowned for it's high quality speakers in the UK.

Many people in the UK perceive Wharfedale as cheap because of the many low cost (and admittedly some low quality) products being sold in the Argos catalogue under the 'Wharfedale' brand.

Because Argos are licensed to sell products under the brand, the Wharfedale company itself does not manufacture all products branded Wharfedale. The company does however, still manufacture it's own Wharfedale speakers, which are of top quality.

Wharfedale is actually renowned for it's high quality speakers in the UK.

Many people in the UK perceive Wharfedale as cheap because of the many low cost (and admittedly some low quality) products being sold in the Argos catalogue under the 'Wharfedale' brand.

Because Argos are licensed to sell products under the brand, the Wharfedale company itself does not manufacture all products branded Wharfedale. The company does however, still manufacture it's own Wharfedale speakers, which are of top quality.

a lot of companies are starting to do that. I didn't know that Wharfedale did. but I haven't seen any of their product in years either

but not the whole bi amplified and external audio crap.

your joking right?

Mackie - Active vs. Passive

a biamp setup will always outperform a passive crossover (regualr) setup. did you know that a 30 and 60 watt amp in a bi amp setup will clip at the same point as a 175 watt amp in a passive setup.

the music is clearer, more detail and less distortion. you don't have to deal sound from cheap capacitors (most people use electrolytic to keep cost down. the best caps are metal propylene, with mylars not too far behind ). you don't have to deal with cheap inductors either (most use metal core to keep cost low, these cause a lot of problem with sound, air core is best)

Okay i fully beleive two amps will outperform one. What you're probably forgetting is that, i'm 14. I dont have money around to just buy two amps. I don't know what you're on about half the time e.g. ''setup will clip at the same point as a 175 watt amp in a passive setup.''

And the difference isn't going to be that much, is it ?

I have so many questions... how do i split the output signal from one cd player correctly into two amps ?

do the amps have to be the same ?

will i here that much difference ?

is it worth it with £150 speakers ?

how do i even do it ?

What's that external audio chip thingy ?

is it really that practical with my strict £500 budget, of which i have used £450 with just ONE amp.

I cudn't make a whole lot of sense out of even the first paragraph ''To operate passive monitors, you connect the line-level outputs of your mixer to a power amp and then run speaker wire to the monitor. Lots can go wrong in a passive system – and often does''

If you're going to convince me, you'll need to do a whole lot of explaining..pretend you're teaching this to an alien that only knows the very basics..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom