Speaker system advice .................

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltynay

Patron
Hey guys I haven't been on this area of the forum for a while. I am mainly a computer tech guy not an audiophile. I am living in Vietnam so don't need any of your excellent product finding support, I will have to tackle that mountain alone.

I am looking for a mid range system mainly for music with a sprinkling of movie viewing and computer games. I listen to a large range of music types. The room I want to place the system in is 5x8 (metres approx) with a balcony that is the same dimensions again. If possible it would be good if the receiver has the ability to do a separate output so that I can put a couple of mid range speakers in the centre of the house but that is not a priority. The system will be plugged into a computer that is outputting through an asus xonar d2x(click for specs) probably routed through itunes so that I can use my itouch as a remote. I have a PSP as well, so if anyone knows of a way to use it through wifi to connect to winamp or another program that is superior to itunes please don't hesitate to comment.

The company I work for has a subsidiary that is a Yamaha and JBL audio distributor for commercial usage. I can get wholesale price or close to for some of their audio products so I have a persuasion towards Yamaha or JBL but not a dedication to those brands if other products are better. I am going to ask the people that work there to help me develop the system, but I would really appreciate your guys advice as the professionals here in Vietnam can be very narrow minded.

So far I am looking at:

Reciever - Yamaha RX-V767 or Yamaha RX-V1067
Centre - Mission MXC1
Front stereo - Lars & ivan BOBO or Bolero
Surround L&R- ?
Rear stereo - Dali lektor 2
Sub - Yamaha NS-SW500 or Yamaha YST-FSW100

A large mix of companies :D

Well one thing that I stick to, and I know a lot of others stick to is making sure at least the L/R and Center channel are paired so that the transition from left to right and vice versa is seamless.
Paired I mean the same company and same family of models.

I noticed the FSW100 sub only went down to 30hz. I'd look for something that hits the 20hz like the SW500.
Have you looked at or able to hear any other companies for subs such as Velodyne, SVS, Paradigm? Not sure if those fit the price range, but do fluctuate in pricing.

Receivers look good. I liked my Yamaha receiver, held it's own but lacked the HD sound at the time so moved to a Denon that was on sale.

new approach:
I have a small room that is approx 10' by 15' with french doors to a balcony that is approximately the same again. The room has a kill switch next to the entrance thus negating the need to run around turning off all the active speakers that are plugged in. I work for a company that has an unrelated subsidiary that supplies commercial speaker systems, so I can get a very good price for studio audio equipment but currently have no idea how to use it.

I am looking at using the Yamaha RX-V1067 as my receiver for audio coming through optical from my computer using an Asus Xonar D2X and A&V from a PS3. I am looking at using the Yamaha HS series for initially a 5.0 system, then later adding the HS10W as a woofer.

What do you guys think? YAY or NAY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom