speaker science ?

slimcan

Baseband Member
I have a Yamaha Ns-p40 receiver and it shuts off on high volume. Can I replace the old receiver with another Yamaha model and keep the old speaker or is there a science behind this swap?

Speakers are generally matched to amps/receivers by their impedance, most common impedance for speakers is 8 Ohms but other commonly found impedance values are 4 & 16 Ohms.

Are you sure the speaker you have is compatible with the receiver? If the speaker impedance is too low, it can cause the amp to shut down.

Also note that if you connect several speakers in parallel to your amp output the impedance goes down. For instance, 2 8 Ohm speakers connected in parallel will result in an impedance of 4 Ohms.

I bought the system as a set. So all I need to do is make sure the new unit is the same ohms. I should not assume that everything is the same brand ( Yamaha) things will go well. I look for the ohms of the speakers. After this lesson , makes me wonder why don't companies do not state that this receiver works with……………….. speakers xyz

They do state that lol, on the back of your receiver it'll usually list what ohm it requires for different types of connections (e.g. straight stereo connection or bridging both outputs for connecting a sub, etc)

Back
Top Bottom