Speaker problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaoherm50

Beta member
Hi,

I've posted this problem in other forums and no one seems to have any solutions, maybe someone might know something here

I have the old logitech z560 4.1 speakers running on the onboard sound of the MSI k7n2 motherboard (Realtek AC97). Anyway, every time I adjust the volume (lower/raise), I get static from the front left speaker. When I unplug that one speaker, the static/belching comes from the subwoofer. I also tried unplugging the speakers from the computer, they still have that static, even when it's not plugged into anything. I also took it out of the room into another room in another outlet and tried it, but it still has this static noise from the front left speaker when it's plugged in or from the sub itself if it's not.

I narrowed it down to the subwoofer (most likely) and to a lesser chance (the control pod) but I'm not sure how to fix this. I don't want to have to look for new speakers at the moment, since they work fine otherwise.

If you have any ideas, please help. Thanks ahead of time.

I don't think it's any interference, it seems to be just coming directly coming from the speaker system itself. It's not anything with the computer monitor, since it yields the same results if it's away from anything virtually harmful.

I would suggest trying a small power strip (1-2 outlets for about $5-$10) that has a noise/interference filter in it. It could be electrical interefence in your house wiring system. Even if you dont think it is, it will still help the performance of your speakers by eliminating incoming signals that you dont want even though you can't hear them. The speakers may not produce those extra signals nor will you hear them, but they are there. Unless your wires are shielded (good chance they aren't), then i suggest getting a power strip with the filter built in.

If not that, then it could very well be the internal amplifier has had its day or needs a good cleaning/tuning.

How loud is the static and what does it sound like? Little clicks or constant static like when your TV doesn't have a signal?

Let me know and I might be able to answer your question.

The noise sounds like static on the TV, except it ONLY comes out when I'm turning the knob (volume control). However, as I keep turning and adjusting it, the static gradually decreases and after a little bit, the static will go away.

It's not the static that you hear when the volume knob is turned all the way up though.

Something is just plain wrong with the setup there then. Make sure none of the wires are loose.

I checked all the connections and they seemed to be fine, I don't think that's the issue though.

Ok I know the problem. Very easily fixed!

Your volume knob (also called a "pot") has dirt inside (doritoes, oreos, etc etc haha) which is affecting it. Now, this is fairly risky to do, but unless you want to replace the whole knob itself, then this is the way to go. First of all, if it has a warranty, use it!

Alright. Goto an electronics store (radioshack or whatever you got) and buy Electronic cleaner. It will come in a spray can (like a can of spray paint). The best is QD Electronics Cleanser, but that stuff is very strong so i suggest asking a salesman what would be safe to use on your knob. Buy some (doesn't have to be a big can... you'll only need 3-4 squirts). Try to take your "control pod" apart and find the volume "pot". There should be a little hole on it somewhere to spray the cleaner in. Spray a few quick shots and twist the knob round and round for a couple seconds. Put it back together and try it out. If you can't take it apart, then you will have to try and replace the pot. Dont try to spray it through the little crack by the knob... you will ruin the contacts and have that static sound forever... even when you dont turn the knob (trust me... i know :mad: )

That should definitely solve your problem. I'm about 90% sure of it. I didn't realize what you were saying until i read your last post. I have a whole mixing board that does this and every so often i have to take it apart and clean the pots out. Works like a charm! Just remember to ask the salesman if the cleaner your going to buy is too strong... if he doesn't know, then find another store! If no other store, then continue at your own risk.

Good luck! Hope I helped!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom