SPDIF to Line In ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
I got gave a KEF PSW1000 subwoofer from my grandparents, nothing spectacular but it has the ability to add a bit of extra bass to my monitors for games. However, it has only 2 inputs.normal left right speaker wire, and Line In left right.

My soundcard only outputs in XLR, 1/4" TRS, Optical and SP DIF. So to my knowledge, this shouldn't work as i don't have the right outputs. But i got bored, and decided to plug the SP/DIF output into the left Line In on the sub. They appear to be the exact same connector, so i was interested in what would happen. I put on the bassiest music i could find.

And, well, it did make sound. There is a whole crap load of interference if i turn the input level up to full (imagine morse code, in a really deep tone), but when i play music there is a bass beat intine with the music - i mean it sounds terrible (the muddiest, most out of tune, least impactful crap), but it is there and it's definitely from the music.

Can anyone explain this ? i thought it would eithertotally work or not at all. Or are line in and spdif the same thing and i'm an idiot for not knowing this..

SPDIF is a digital signal. This would be the same as an optical output, just not using an optical line. It is not actual sound. Thus explaining the morse code sound.

What's REALLY cool is if you took that SPDIF signal and plugged it into an oscilliscope, you could visually see the "morse code".

That SPDIF jack doubles as a line in jack.

If the other connector is SPDIF compatible, youll get a digital signal. But if its a standard line in, thats an analog jack therefore thats why you hear the floor noise.

Oh, makes sense now :) Thanks.

And funnily enough we just did about waves at school and did that exact thing with the oscilloscope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom