Soundcard or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Rekit

In Runtime
This is the MB I have:
MB GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R 775 P35 RT

It is an office computer and I just plugged in a set of speakers to get sound for whenever I might need to listen to something (product CD for business etc)

The problem is that it is so quiet I have to keep my head right next to the speaker to hear it.

Since I'm not looking for movie/CD quality sound, just something loud enough to be practical, what should I go for? Speakers with a built in amp or a sound card?

Are they powered speakers? I have never bothered with aftermarket sound cards as onboard these days is just fine for general gaming.

Speakers always need a source of amplification to sound good.

And a soundcard will help too, onboard sound is just pitiful and has very high distortion and low sound quality. Even a very basic card will be much better.

Are they powered speakers? I have never bothered with aftermarket sound cards as onboard these days is just fine for general gaming.

They ones I have on it right now aren't. I have some powered ones at the house, so I will try those 1st and then decide if I need a soundcard or not.

It sounds like powered speakers are going to be a must either way.

a sound card won't be needed. it's just a business computer. Just get your speakers connected to an amplifier or buy some cheap stereo powered computer speakers.

there is no excuse for onboard sound.

Soundcard.

There are lots of excuses. Onboard sound is perfectly fine for 99% of the population. When the sound is being played through tiny little speakers with almost no quality, a sound card isnt going to make much difference. There are much better things to spend money on than a 200 dollar sound and 500 dollar speakers.

Me, i'd rather put my money into video cards for better frame rates as i almost always have the sound just barely audible anyway.

There are lots of excuses. Onboard sound is perfectly fine for 99% of the population. When the sound is being played through tiny little speakers with almost no quality, a sound card isnt going to make much difference. There are much better things to spend money on than a 200 dollar sound and 500 dollar speakers.

Me, i'd rather put my money into video cards for better frame rates as i almost always have the sound just barely audible anyway.

Nobody said anything about a $200 sound card.

People blow $400 on video cards and about the same on wc but wont spend a few bucks on a sound card. Even a basic card is 10 times better than onboard, it really is that bad.

A good soundcard plus good headphones or speakers can make the game that much more enjoyable. Even a basic $25 card puts onboard to shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom