sound thu s-video cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomPotts

Baseband Member
my radeon 9800pro has a s-video spot and im trying to plug my stereo system into it and play thru that, is this even possible or do i need a better sound card? i have a realtech ac97 with no special ports.

Hello,

S-video is an analogue video signal. S-video cables and ports are only capable of transmitting and receiving video signals.

The Radeon 9800pro graphics card does not have audio support.

Also, how are you trying to hook up your stereo to your PC using an s-video cable??? Does your stereo system have s-video output??? :confused:

Most stereo systems have RCA jack inputs- left and right phono inputs which is coloured red and white, or red and black...

Phono_Input.jpg

...It's usually called Aux or Auxillery.

well it goes into a vcr then into my stereo (dvd/vcr combo :)

yea i ran the s-video into the vcr and then the red and whites from the vcr to the stereo

is this impossible without a new sound card?

Re:

Hello,

Okay now I understand.

You've connected your stereo system to the VCR right? Did you use a phono to phono, or RCA to RCA cable?:

SmallHRCACables2to2.jpg

If your VCR does not have RCA inputs, you need to do the following...

You need to use one of these cables:

SmallHRCACables2to1.jpg

Connect the 3.5mm end to your soundcard's speaker output on your PC, and then connect the red and white RCA jacks into the audio RCA sockets of a scart adaptor:

35570big.jpg

...Then plug the scart adaptor into a scart input on the back of the VCR...

naps_1133313318_39.jpg

Otherwise, if your VCR does have phono inputs (red & white RCA inputs), then you can connect the 3.5mm to RCA directly to the VCR without having to use a scart adaptor.

So, you have your PC's soundcard connected to one of the VCR's SCART sockets, and your VCR connected to your stereo system.

However, the success of this setup and method depends on whether your VCR permits you to input and output audio in this manner. Many VCRs (like my Panasonic VCRs I have) allow me to create this setup. Also, some VCRs require the VCR to be on and one of AV channels (scart channels) to be selected in order for audio to be inputted and outputted this way. Unfortunately, some VCRs do no support this setup.

i dont have the headphone jack with the red and white cables attached and my vcr doesnt have a place for the scart adapter... what i did was s-video from my comp to the vcr then the red and white jacks from the vcr into the stereo

my vcr does have 2 lines for the rca too so i can go in and back out with the rca

Hello,

I understand. As I said ealier, s-video is an analoge video signal. It is not capable of transmitting audio. In addition, your graphics card is not capable of outputting audio.

So it will not work. Unfortunately, the method I proposed also will not work since your VCR does not have scart sockets.

Does your VCR have phono inputs (red and white RCA sockets)?

Otherwise, you'd have to connect your PC's soundcard directly to your stereo system using a 3.5mm to RCA stereo cable:

SmallHRCACables2to1.jpg

i see now the headphone jack into the soundcard with rca's attached that go directly into the stereo? and the s-video cable is uneeded cause im just tryin to hook the sound up for games

THANKS BUDDY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom