sound static. help if you can please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoes

Solid State Member
Hi.
I bought my computer over winter break for around $600 dollars. Everything works great, though I would like to have better video, except for the sound. When I crank up the volume on my headphones I hear static. When music is playing it is less noticable but there is still an effect on all sound that is emitted. I know it isn't my headphones that is creating the problem but I cant really figure out what is. All I know is that I hear differences in this static when I open and close applications. This leads me to believe that it could be memory related, along the lines of interfering frequencies between the memory and sound or even the cpu. I would just buy a new sound card or steal my brother's, but I have a shuttle, and sometimes I use my PCI slot for a wireless card so it would kind of be annoying to have to remove it. I have not had a problem with the quality of onboard sound in the past, so I was hoping there was a logical solution to the problem that I have not yet realized. Thanks if you can help or have any suggestions.

Shuttle ST61G4B
OS: WinXP Professional 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build #2600)
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 , 3.0GHz Northwood with HT 800MHz FSB
Video: Default Monitor on ATi ATI Radeon 9100 IGP (1280x1024x32bpp 70Hz)
Sound: Realtek AC97 Audio
Memory: 1024MB Mushkin DDR400 pc3200

i was looking at sound cards in the event that it is the best decision to just go and buy one, and i don't really need super excellent sound at all so i was thinking that this card would be just fine and maybe even better than i expect:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=29-102-176&DEPA=0

i would probably be buying that one from bestbuy. Is there anything i should know about this card and is it a good one? if you have any other suggestions then please let me know also.

thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom