Sound quality question from a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swend

Beta member
First of I am a total newbie at everything sound related, so please treat me as such.

Some background: My problem started when I bought my new Logitech G35 5.1 Surround Sound Headset. I found that I suddenly didn't enjoy music the way I used to. But when I tried on my moms Denon AH-D1001 it sounded much better. So of course I came to the conclusion that the sound quality of the new headset was simply bad. But I hoped I was wrong, so I started looking at properties, looking for something to change that would help. Thats when I found under Playback devices -> Properties -> Advanced an option called Default Format. On the G35 it goes from 16 bit, 8000 Hz to 16 bit, 44100 Hz but on the AH-D1001 it goes from 16 bit, 44100 Hz to 24 bit, 192000 Hz. And when I on the AH-D1001 (originally its on 24 bit, 48000 Hz) put it down to level of the G35 it had the same bad quality!

So now I'm curious. Why? The G35 is a USB Headset, is that what does it? Or is it just of a worse quality in itself? I hope someone smarter than me could please enlighten me :)

On the G35 it goes from 16 bit, 8000 Hz to 16 bit, 44100 Hz but on the AH-D1001 it goes from 16 bit, 44100 Hz to 24 bit, 192000 Hz. And when I on the AH-D1001 (originally its on 24 bit, 48000 Hz) put it down to level of the G35 it had the same bad quality!

So now I'm curious. Why? The G35 is a USB Headset, is that what does it? Or is it just of a worse quality in itself?

Well, I would probably have it set on 16 bit, 44100 Hz, for starters. That's the best you are going to get with those headphones. Since it is a USB headset, I would at least consider the chance you are getting feedback through the USB. Did you try using different USB ports? Even though it's not directly the same thing, you can certainly get mic feedback through usb ports that are not grounded properly as well.

The other thing that pops into my mind is the fact it is 5.1 channel. Can you reduce it to just basic stereo? That may be some of the issue.

What kind of audio file are you attempting to play? Sounds like your mom's headset can handle it because of its higher maximum settings.

The ( HZ ) is the range of the system. Larger the range (HZ) is the more detailed the sound will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom