Sound Card Issues!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuggets

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,

I am new to this board and I have come in search of some advice.

So the other night I decided to install the 1.01 patch for GTA San Andreas. Everything that follows this was either caused by the patch or just an ironic coincedence. I decided that I didn't like the patch because my right joystick wouldn't work in it for some reason, and it didn't even fix the bugs I was looking for it to fix. So, I decided to system restore to the day before I installed the patch. After doing this, I realized that I had no sound whatsoever. So, I undid the restore, and I still had the same problem. I decided to try to restart, which didn't help. I think I may have restored again or I restarted again, and this is when things went BALLISTIC...

I guess I got caught in a "boot loop" from what some of my more experienced computer using friends had told me. I kept getting to the Windows XP screen where it loads with the blue bar, and my computer just kept resetting itself. I couldn't get this to stop. I had to reinstall my Windows, which kept RESETTING MY COMPUTER whenever it got to the installing devices part. It only stopped doing that when I turned the computer off, removed my sound card, and then the installation got past that point.

Everything installed correctly, but then whenever I finally got windows up and running - I had more problems. However, those are all fixed now, and I think nearly everything is back up to running 100%.

The issue now is - does anyone think that my soundcard somehow died? I got caught in that boot loop for a while after the sound stopped working, and then my windows wouldn't reinstall until I took the sound card out. It didn't smell like anything burnt, the sound card looks fine physically, etc. It was REALLY dusty because my case gets terrible air flow, so I made sure I cleaned it out and the sound card off. My friend said that I should clear all of the sound drivers off of my computer, shut my computer down, put the sound card back in, then reinstall the sound card drivers from the web site. My card is a Sound Blaster Audigy. Oh, also, my onboard sound doesn't work - but I'm pretty sure that should be disabled because I use a soundblaster audigy, right??

Should I wipe my sound drivers, put the sound card back in, and try to reinstall? Is this safe? Or am I going to get caught in another boot loop and have my computer completely screwed up for another 12 hours? Also, do you think my card is dead? I could get a new one if this is a risky venture. I would just like to blast my 5.1 system again. Also right now my card isn't in my comp and it says I have no sound devices. I guess that's normal? haha.

Thank you in advance to all who sat here and read my book and to those who will be willing to advise me in the right direction!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom