Sound Card don't work after OS change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam1237

Beta member
Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop. I changed the OS to a windows XP with a non-english language. Now, my sound card won't work.

My sound card is Sigmatel 9200. I downloaded the driver but it does not work...

I tried a few other drivers but none work.

I got the driver from Dell. It is the correct driver but it doesn't seem to work on my computer. I keep going to add new hardware, windows doesn't automatically find my sound card, so I manually pick "sound and game devices", then it asks me what driver to install, so I direct it to the driver I downloaded, and the driver installs.

However, nothing happens after install. When I try to play music, windows media player tells me I have no audio hardware

I tried one other thing but it also didn't work. I have a 2nd exact laptop with the english win xp from dell and sound works there. So I went there to control panel and then to sounds and it had "Sigmatel High Definition Audio CODEC", something the other laptop without sound no longer has. So I clicked on properties of "Sigmatel High Definition Audio CODEC" --> driver --> driver details. Then I had 10 paths to driver files in the windows system32 directory. I copied those files to the laptop with no sound. But still does not work...

I actually think the problem is that the laptop thinks there is no hardware audio device at all. Perhaps newer windows OS has some files that older version of windows OS doesn't have and the old non-english windows cannot recognize the audio hardware? What to do?

I installed everest and it says my sound card is "Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1] " but I cannot find a driver for that anywhere.

here's the full everest report, if anyone could help me find what's the problem, I would be very grateful.

http://204.157.37.100/~proxy/Report.htm

did you get any kind of CD with the laptop? Try searching for drivers from it if you do... this is definitely a driver problem.

What you will have to do is uninstall the driver completely... reboot and when it comes up saying Found New Hardware, DO NOT let it search windows update/the internet for drivers. Use the CD that you SHOULD have gotten from Dell. If you didn't get one, contact dell.

What is the EXACT model number of the laptop? List all of the specs too and i'll try to help you find the right one. This will be rough, but its possible since dell is so big.

I did not get a CD, now dell just puts all the drivers on the HD to save money. I made a copy of all the drivers before I changed OS. All the drivers installed seamlessly except for the sound driver.

Then I also went to dell website and they had the same exact driver I previosly copied from the HD, but same thing...

The service tag is : BWYRR91

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom