Which sound card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Xandubomb

If you only have $200, I'd just get a logitech 2.1 Z-3300 and a Xonar DX.

Oh no, I was just wondering if the STX would work with 2.1 setups. Later down the line, I'm planning to get some high end studio monitors.

I do not plan on getting the STX with the very low end 2.1 speakers I have now.

Unfortunately that's not my department, though I'm still learning.

The most knowledgeable members I've seen around here that know their audio, are EricB and Oreo.

What do you mean by run games better? I still have a couple days to return it, so if it's not worth, I'd return it.
It supports EAX 5.0 properly, and processes all of the sound on the SPU rather than using the system's CPU.

the DX and D2X do have drivers that attempt to emulate EAX 5.0 effects (called DS3D GX), but it doesn't always work with all games - since Creative, being the ****'s they are, want to be in sole control of the standard (which they've been able to do since they've had almost a monopoly on the market for some time now) and won't license EAX 5.0 to anybody.

Manufacturers can try to write their own original software intercepting the EAX calls to try and produce the same effects, but they can't legally reverse-engineer Creative's stuff to do it. And that's not easy.

The sound will work fine in games if you don't have DS3D GX turned on, but you won't get all the surround effects that the X-fi's have.

But in terms of sound quality (listening to music, movies), the Xonar DX and D2X are above the Creative's X-Fi's.

scrimstar said:
Are the speakers for the Z-5500 better or just as good as the Z-2300's speakers?
I don't know how they compare to the Z-2300's.

Though the Z-5500's, while they are above average, aren't in the same league as, studio monitors in terms of sound quality.

Do you think they can have a driver for the DS3D GX anytime soon? I guess I might return the Xi-Fi, because my son listens all of the hip-hop stuff.. =.=

The reason I asked about the quality of the Z-5500's is because they're $300 for a 5.1 set, and $100 for a Z-2300 2.1 set.

Is there any card that combines the sound quality of 192khz cards like the ASUS Xonar and HT Omega Claro with the EAX support of a Creative X-Fi?

a couple things

1) if it has an spdif or optical out that support 192KHz/24bit on your sound card then you have 7.1, which it does have it. just set the card to bypass or passthrough and your sony receiver will decode the 7.1 info. don't ever buy a 7.1 card if your receiver is dolby digital or dts. you are just wasting money. that 7.1 one is for analog powered speakers but you have a receiver which make that a moot point

2) that virtual 7.1 (or Dolby digital live) is an amazing technology. it encodes stereo 2.0 to true 7.1 on the fly. the old nvidia nforce 2 motherboard could do the same thing but the concept never caught on because people didn't understand the concept or technology. I have a 1-2 grand lexicon processor that do that exact same thing and it sound amazing.

don't confuse it with people's cheap way of making 2.0 sound some out of every speaker. it does what adode audition does to make 7.1.there are a lot of step you do to make a true 2.0 to 7.1 in adobe and this card is doing it on the fly. btw 7.1 and 5.1 is the exact same thing. I explain the detail of that on old post here and that a lot typing and I suck at typing. i hope that it has a way of letting you save the result to a hdd so I can burn it and play them on a dvd player.

I will be buying the stx. up to this point I could not really find a high end card that was media center compatible (I have not really look in the past 18 months either). the best card like the presonus firebox, m-audio and RME just don't work with media center which in my eyes kinda defeat the purpose of media center. it look like that I have found one now

Thanks Eric, kinda confused on one thing you said though.
don't ever buy a 7.1 card if your receiver is dolby digital or dts. you are just wasting money. that 7.1 one is for analog powered speakers but you have a receiver which make that a moot point

Do they even sell cards that are not 7.1 and have optical/coax out? Also, you said:

that virtual 7.1 (or Dolby digital live) is an amazing technology. it encodes stereo 2.0 to true 7.1 on the fly. the old nvidia nforce 2 motherboard could do the same thing but the concept never caught on because people didn't understand the concept or technology. I have a 1-2 grand lexicon processor that do that exact same thing and it sound amazing.

Well, all the cards that I've seen that have the dolby digital live are 7.1 cards. So you're saying the best card for me would be one without a 7.1 processor since I have a dolby receiver, but how would that be possible since I'd need one with a processor to implement the dolby digital live technology?

Thanks Eric, kinda confused on one thing you said though.
Do they even sell cards that are not 7.1 and have optical/coax out? Also, you said:

I'm not sure what you asking here because most good sound card have optical/coax out even the good 2.0 cards

Well, all the cards that I've seen that have the dolby digital live are 7.1 cards. So you're saying the best card for me would be one without a 7.1 processor since I have a dolby receiver, but how would that be possible since I'd need one with a processor to implement the dolby digital live technology?

the ASUS Xonar Essence STX is a 2.0 card and it has dolby digital live. you don't need a 7.1 processor in your sound card because your sony receiver already has it. when you set the card to bypass it let the sony process the source material

a better explanation

http://www.techist.com/forums/f12/research-question-about-possible-7-1-sound-card-prototype-187363/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom