Shocked by RCA/Coaxial cables, safe to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Indeed.
So heres my story/question: I was hooking up my computer (downstairs) to my receiver for the home theatre (upstairs) but I didn't have long enough RCA cables, so I got some RCA to Coaxial adapters and ran some long coaxial cables I have up the stairs. Now it is hooked up to the AUX jack on my mobo (for surround sound) and I have it duplicating the front channels, and I walk up the stairs to plug the Coaxial cables into the RCA inputs (with more adapters) and grab the RCA cable in one hand and the Coaxial cable in the other and I feel a tingling in my fingers; it only happens when I complete the circuit between the two cables. Is it safe plug them in like this? I dont want to risk screwing up the receiver or my mobo.

Thanks,
~Greg

I'd say you made a pretty good call not plugging them in. RCA inputs are extremely sensitive to shocks. I've heard that you could easily blow the RCAs on a car's cd player with even very small amounts of electricity (at the wrong point). I would imagine the same holds true for a home theatre setup.

As far as your exact situation goes though, I'm not sure :/.

Thanks for the advice, I'd say that if it's enough electricity to feel then it'd be more than a very small amount. Maybe I'll invest in some longer RCA cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom