Research question about possible 7.1 sound card prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistlepie

Beta member
Hi! I'm an American student and I'm doing a research project in France concerning a prototype of a 7.1 sound card which will an integrated amplifier. From what I've understood, the card is similar to Creative's 7.1 Soundblaster X-Fi Xtremegamer Fatal1ty, but would actually work, haha. I don't really know the exact specs (and I really know nothing about sound cards!), but I think the Fatal1ty is the closest equivalent.

What I'm trying to find out is whether there's an interest in a sound card of this nature? As far as I saw on the reviews on newegg.com, many people bought it but were sorely disappointed. So I ask you: would you buy something similar if it worked well? Are there many who would be interested in such sound card? What would be the maximum amount of money you'd spend on such a product, taking in account possible overseas shipping costs?

Thank you for your time, I look forward to your responses!
-- Kate

A sound card with integrated amp? Internal? External? If internal, there aint no way you'd get much power out of it.

I would be against it.

A sound card with integrated amp? Internal? External? If internal, there aint no way you'd get much power out of it.

I would be against it.

I'm not quite sure if it's external or internal. If it were external, would that change your opinion?

I'm not quite sure if it's external or internal. If it were external, would that change your opinion?

not really, since 7.1 is the same as 5.1 without the extra 2 processed channnels. most people who want 7.1 will buy a 7.1 receiver and pay less for a sound card and set that card digital output to passthrough.you run 1 small wire for digital as oppose to 4 big ones for 7.1 analog

not really, since 7.1 is the same as 5.1 without the extra 2 processed channnels. most people who want 7.1 will buy a 7.1 receiver and pay less for a sound card and set that card digital output to passthrough.you run 1 small wire for digital as oppose to 4 big ones for 7.1 analog

So what are the benefits of owning a 7.1 sound card versus a 5.1, if there are any? Do most people go for 5.1 sound cards because they're a lot more portable, etc., or is it simply a matter of price and/or usability...? What would need to done to a 7.1 sound card in order to appeal to those who'd go for a 5.1 sound card?

So what are the benefits of owning a 7.1 sound card versus a 5.1, if there are any? Do most people go for 5.1 sound cards because they're a lot more portable, etc., or is it simply a matter of price and/or usability...? What would need to done to a 7.1 sound card in order to appeal to those who'd go for a 5.1 sound card?

there's none really unless you have 7.1 computer speaker. then you need the card to run the 2 extra speakers

we audiophiles accidently discover 7.1. we bought the first ac-3 (Dolby digital) receivers. we were stuck with our old Dolby pro logic receivers. the old receiver use to have pre amp in and out on them so you can add more powerful amps.

we like the superior sound of separate rear channels (pro logic originate from the 2 front channel). but we tweaked it even further. we took the pre out from the ac-3 machine and ran it to our stereo input of our prologic receiver. then we run the stereo channel of it to our rear surround and add an extra center channel (6.1 sound. adding another speaker in parallel to the center speaker made it 7.1 ) in the rear. we set the pro logic receiver to the mode the mix the rear sound to the front 3 speaker (I forget what it was called. maybe dolby 3 mode) the sound truly became amazing.

manufacture took notice of this tactic and made receivers that can do this internally.

I tell you that to explain this. every a 7.1 card can do, a 5.1 card can do, with the exception of having 2 more analog outputs.

now would you rather pay 35-60 bucks or 175 for a card that does basically the same thing?

I tell you that to explain this. every a 7.1 card can do, a 5.1 card can do, with the exception of having 2 more analog outputs.

now would you rather pay 35-60 bucks or 175 for a card that does basically the same thing?

Ahah, I hoped (dubiously) that there'd be another answer. Ah well. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it! I now need to figure out how to say it in French. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom