Repairing Incomplete Video File

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard596

In Runtime
I was in the process of capturing live video from a Canon GL2 to Roxio Media Importer, which saves the video as an .avi file. I experienced a power outage right in the middle of the capture and now that video file is incomplete /corrupt.

Is there any way to repair this file? I don't have the video on miniDV tape because I was just recording the camera's live input.

I've tried several video repair programs with no luck. None of them can even read the file. Shouldn't there be a way to just read the raw data from the file and rebuild it?

It's pretty critical that I recover this video but I'm not having any luck so far.

I had tried virtualdub yesterday but it wouldn't read the file.
I'm not very familiar with the program, though. Does it have any options for reading raw file data regardless of any corruption in the file?

Hello,

Specifically, what error does it give? A missing codec error or a corrupt file error?

If you have the required codec installed and you get a corrupt file error, try going to Video -> Error mode... -> Check Decode even if the result may be garbled, click ok, then try opening the AVI file.

I'm not with the system today to find out, but it was an error along the lines of a corrupt file. Not a codec issue. I will post back as soon as I return and have a chance to look into it. Might be a couple of days.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom