Remotely Control Audio/Video Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekkie00

In Runtime
Right now, I have an old computer hooked up to my stereo system. All it's doing is acting as a file+print server and running BOINC, and I think it could be doing much more.

Specs:
Intel Pentium 3 @ 866
256mb RAM
40+160gb HDD
DVD+-RW burner and CD-RW burner (two seperate drives)
Windows ME

What I would like to do is set up my laptop (Sempron 3300+) as a "remote control" for it - interface it with some sort of playback program on the desktop. Note that I don't want to stream it to another computer, just play it back on that desktop iteslf. Worst case, I could use VNC, but it's a bit laggy and would prefer something else.
I'm not sure what software I would need for something like that. If I could, I would like to use VLC because it runs the best I've seen on it. If needed, I wouldn't mind switching to Linux on that computer (actually, it's something I've been considering for a long time).

Thanks for your help.

Oh crap. There are devices made to do exactly what you are wanting. I can't for the life of me think of what they are called. They are used on either ethernet or wireless networks. Its really cool... i'll think on it and post back.

There IS such a thing tho.

Try Radmin, but I'm still quite confused about what exactly you're trying to do or is it simple..don't know.

TightVNC should be fine if you have a fast LAN (1000Mbps) connection to the desktop and the laptop.

Well you could simply get a remote control. Get a IR Remote control and if you are in the other room get or make an extender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom