Recording static/hissing problem (not common)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDub

Beta member
I desperately need to resolve this.

Hi,

IÂ’ve been making home recordings with my old computer for some time now and never had any problems of this sort but recently, I was given a new computer (home assembled) and this is what's up: I am getting enormous amounts of hissing noise that is generated somewhere inside the PC. Here is the test: All of my inputs and outputs are muted except for the main volume and the line-in through which I want to record. Nothing is connected to this input as an outside source. I am running Sound Forge 6.0 or Cool Edit 2.1 on Win-XP and I monitor the input signal that is being picked up by these programs. This signal is measuring up at about -25db instead of low -70db, and not only that, but one of the channels is picking up more of this noise than the other. This much of noise is almost half of the whole signal so it is pretty severe. As soon as I go into the windows recording controls and mute all the incoming signals, the levels of this noise do drop down to about -70db and the channel picking up more noise drops down too but not all the way. In other words, no matter what happens to the incoming noise, the difference between the two channels is constant. In the recording, it appears as a hissing noise like the one youÂ’d get on a tape deck. My current soundcard is built into the motherboard of my PC, which is an ABIT V17 with an Intel 3.0 GHz processor and it has 1GB of RAM. I have also tested this with a different soundcard - a PCI SoundBlaster Live (works fine on my old PC) but experienced the same identical problem(s). I also ran this test on 4 different computers (all with Win-XP) and found that half of them experience the same kind of problem of similar degree but could not find any consistency to help me determine what is causing this. I need to figure out the cause of this malfunction so I can fix it and get back to my recording as soon as possible. Can anyone out there help me out?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom