Recording high resolution footage with fraps. What specs are needed to have no lag?(P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Recording high resolution footage with fraps. What specs are needed to have no la

Thanks for the answer chad but that was one of the first things I tried

Re: Recording high resolution footage with fraps. What specs are needed to have no la

dxdiag check this video and in the info box he shows settings & his hardware on another machine. Keep in mind the game he is recording is more demanding than the ones you listed and he's recording at max settings and 1900x1200 res.

YouTube - Far Cry 2 - Dawn Raid [HD Enabled]

This is another pretty cheap computer with Far Cry 2 recording at 1440x900

YouTube - FarCry 2 on 9800gtx, dx10 max settings to some TOOL

you don't seem too worried about budget, if thats the case I would go for an i5 or i7, 4 gigs ram, a raptor, and best video card you can get for about $250 and it should easily meet your needs.

Thank you for narrowing down the search macdawg. My budget is around 800-1200 Euro. I thought that would be enough but am starting to doubt. Could you maybe give me more specifics on where to buy the stuff (I live in germany) that would be great :)

What exactly is a "raptop" I think HD but not sure.

By the way review of the videos
FarCry 2 on 9800gtx, dx10 max settings to some TOOL - that way laggy and the quality was not so good considering he recorded with best in game settings.

Far Cry 2 - Dawn Raid [HD Enabled] - This is the perfect example of what kind of video I want smooth and decent quality. Incase I havn't said this I need the same smoothness that shows up in the movie in game when I am playing as well. I need to play with smooth FPS so I don't make mistakes while playing.
Just wanted to say it again.

Thanks for the links.

1. You will need a decent GPU. A i7 will do you good but you also need a good GPU that can handle both FRAPS and the game and still kick out a decent FPS at the resolution you want. So you may want to consider a lower CPU and a higher GPU. If you have the extra cash go with a i7 and a GTS260 or something like that.

2. You dont have to overkill, but a Mobile GPU isnt going to cut it for what you want.

3. That would be better asked in the Build section.

Building, Buying, Upgrading for General PCs - Computer Forums

or

Building, Buying, or Upgrading High Performance PC Systems - Computer Forums

someone can build you a PC with good specs for a price range you specify.

4. You would need a new mobo, CPU, GPU, PSU and RAM.

5. Netbooks are not upgradable. There is nothing you can do.

Does a GPU really effect recording ?

I thought it just needed a good CPU because of the live compression and processing the data and a quick HDD to write the data to. I am not saying you are wrong at all for i am only assuming about the HDD and CPU too, but i'd like an explanation of where the GPU comes into the equation - i'm intrigued.

dxdiag,

I still personally think a capture card that can handle all the screen recording itself is the best bet. The problem is your taxing other components when they are already heavily been used, a hardware capture card would mostly solve this issue, but as i said before, i am not quite sure on the technicalities of how it would work.

I don't want to record at 800 x 600 I want to record at 1280 x 720
I have read so many software comparisons and 80% say that FRAPS is the best.
1. People at technology stores have said that buying a new HD will not solve my problem.
2. I have 4GB RAM I'm sure that is enough.
3. Q9550 @ 3.6ghz I doubt that is as good as an i7.

Thank you for your time but I need a solution for FRAPS.

Never listen to the people at technology stores..never. I am not saying i am right, but it's simple logic. FRAPS writes HUGE files, the HDD is constantly writing whilst your game is trying to use it, it's bound to cause problems. And actually, a Q9550 @ 3.6ghz does perform similary in games to an i7 @ 2.6.

Dx-

I would just start a thread in those areas in regards to a build that people can put together for you. Use a link to this thread for refence if you wish. That will be the easiest way to get recommendations for a build along with allowing the people who will price and link you to parts all the information on what you are looking to do.

Oreo,

The GPU in this manner will have a effect. As already stated FRAPS affects FPS. So to get a decent FPS along with playing a game and recording what you are doing a decent GPU will be in order to make sure that you get a good enough FPS to play the game with FRAPS along with record. Yes the HDD and CPU are also part of the equation, but since he already stated that he is looking into a i7 i didnt really feel the need to stress that point. As that is a great CPU to use for something like this.

I stated using a good quality GPU in this instance due to the fact that the OP wishes to run FRAPS and record with it. I can vouch that running FRAPS with a game is a killer. Even on my 8800GTS i see a drop in FPS. So having a good GPU can only be of help in order to achieve what they want.

Dx-

I would just start a thread in those areas in regards to a build that people can put together for you. Use a link to this thread for refence if you wish. That will be the easiest way to get recommendations for a build along with allowing the people who will price and link you to parts all the information on what you are looking to do.

Oreo,

The GPU in this manner will have a effect. As already stated FRAPS affects FPS. So to get a decent FPS along with playing a game and recording what you are doing a decent GPU will be in order to make sure that you get a good enough FPS to play the game with FRAPS along with record. Yes the HDD and CPU are also part of the equation, but since he already stated that he is looking into a i7 i didnt really feel the need to stress that point. As that is a great CPU to use for something like this.

I stated using a good quality GPU in this instance due to the fact that the OP wishes to run FRAPS and record with it. I can vouch that running FRAPS with a game is a killer. Even on my 8800GTS i see a drop in FPS. So having a good GPU can only be of help in order to achieve what they want.

Good point.

Didn't think of the whole having a high FPS kinda things. I just hate fraps, it halves my FPS even on WoW with my System.

Does a GPU really effect recording ?
Never listen to the people at technology stores..never. I am not saying i am right, but it's simple logic. FRAPS writes HUGE files, the HDD is constantly writing whilst your game is trying to use it, it's bound to cause problems. And actually, a Q9550 @ 3.6ghz does perform similary in games to an i7 @ 2.6.

Well it wasn't just those people it was also my uncle who is an electrical engineer who said this. Even though they said it sounds like common sense to get a new HD.

Dx-
Before this is over I would like to link a couple desktops I found on the web and magazines with intel i7 or intel i5 processors. I don't know about the GPU and HD on these PCs. Next post I have the links specs of the PCs.

1. These are the specs of the computer the guy was using in one of the YouTube videos you linked me.
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
RAM: 6GB
Graphics: Leadtek Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 1GB
Primary Hard Drive: Western Digital 150GB VelociRaptor SATA2
Secondary Hard Drive: Old Western Digital 74GB Raptor SATA

2. Links to various PCs I found on the web
http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/studio-xps-8000/pd.aspx?refid=studio-xps-8000&s=dhs&cs=19
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Xtreme_1000
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0317393
http://www.vigorgaming.com/product/config_hornetne.html

3. Link from magazine price 1200 Dollars
Name: Gamer Paladin E850
-Intel core i5-750 processor.
-Intel P55 Chipset DDR3 Motherboard.
-Ati Radeon HD 5850 1GB video card.
-Certified CPU liquidd cooling saystem - Overclock proof.
-NZXT Tempest Gaming case + 800 SLI Certified power supply.
-Windows 7 Home premium OS.
-High definition HD surround 3D premium sound.

4. Another magazine PC. Proce 1000 Dollars
Name: Gamer Paladin F725.
-Intel core i7-920 processor.
-Intel X58 Chipset motherboard.
-ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB video card.
-700W Power Supply.
-Windows 7 home premium OS.
-High definition HD surround 3D premium sound.

This is a hardrive: Intel X25-M Solid State Drive 160GB. It was ranked at the top of the list for HDs in this magazine (PC

world). By the way the i7 was the top Intel processor. Surprise! Surprise!

5. I know these links are from a german site but it's just to look at the specs
http://www.neobuy.de/product_info-info-p1377_PC-Core-i5-750-Media-html.html
http://www.neobuy.de/product_info-info-p1314_PC-Core-i7-920-Silent-html.html
http://www.neobuy.de/product_info-info-p1194_PC-Core-i5-750-Gamer-html.html
http://www.neobuy.de/product_info-info-p1378_PC-Core-i7-860-Deluxe-html.html
http://www.neobuy.de/product_info-info-p1382_PC-Core-i5-750-Power-html.html

Might sound nooby but accidentally made a new post how do I delete?

No opinion on these PCs?

probably only 3. 4. linked from your previous post are good for gaming

all others seems crappy (excluding ones linked from German site)

pssssttttt

IMHO,
Any quad core - clocked @ at least 3.0Ghz
4 GB of RAM @ 1066Mhz or faster
video card higher than GTX 260
any hard drive, 16MB of cache and 7200RPM

should do what you want to do (record game via FRAPS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom