Recording HD Footage with FRAPS. Odd issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAHGorgix

Baseband Member
Hello!

So a few years back I picked up FRAPS and Sony Vegas Pro 8. I used to record in full size, with 30 FPS, at 1440x900 gameplay resolution. Now I have a better monitor and I was recording at full size, with 30 FPS at 1980x1080. The FPS in game is fine when the recording starts, and it doesn't get laggy or choppy even after 10 minutes or so. However, when I watch the video in a media player, the overlay (in one of the corners which shows the FPS) skips between 10-15 FPS and the video is very choppy and skips a bunch.

I have heard the following:

1.) FRAPS can only record in full size at 1280x800 (widescreen)
2.) Install FRAPS to a second hard drive and run it and save it from that hard drive.

I am going to try option two today. But does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Yes, I had recorded some gameplay with fraps on monday evening.
If you have the current version of fraps, see where it is outputting your videos to.
If it's outputting to your user documents, move the output location away from documents onto another hdd.
About your size recording, I would capture in 1280x960 or something abit lower than that.
Smaller size resolutions equals better gameplay.

Check for your codecs and make sure which ever method you use is recording 29.9fps or so.
Try using ffdshow with mpeg1 or mpeg2 encoder standard from community combined codec pack.
CCCP - Combined Community Codec Pack

You can look into k-lite codec pack basic "best one" or full pack and just install what you need done.
Free-Codecs.com : Download K-Lite Codec Pack 8.4.0 FULL, K-Lite Codec Pack 8.4.0 STANDARD, K-Lite Codec Pack 8.4.0 BASIC : K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of codecs and related tools
I recommend you do not have your antivirus or any system repair suite going on in the background, which leads to crappy captures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom