Realtek AC97 sound card driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

planty_pirate

Solid State Member
hey there.

i recently installed a new hard drive and have had lots of problems since. i've managed to get my internet working but haven't had any luck with sound. my sound card's onboard (i've been told it's probably a Realtek AC97 card, and have found something on my motherboard with Realtek printed on it, so i assume this to be true). it shows up in device manager as "PCI Multimedia Audio Device". i was pointed towards the drivers i need so i downloaded and installed them. however, i haven't a clue how it's meant to work. to get it working you're supposed to:
install the program in the file you download.
restart the computer, then click "cancel" when the add new hardware wizard detects the card and tries to install drivers for it.
run the program you just installed.

this is all i know. i ran the program and it opened some odd program that has something to do with sound effects. i'm completely baffled. has anyone else used this and knows what to do? it's Realtek AC97 wdm3.65 as far as i know.

thanx.

planty.

just to respond, i'm looking at pages and pages on google of horor stories having to do with the Realtek AC97 onboard audio... my initial opinion is to go buy a new PCI Audio card, they can be cheep or cost an arm and a let, depends on what you need... but you can get a decent one (equivalent or better than what's supposed to work on your motherboard) for less than $40
still looking for solution other than this.

also this "program" you talk about downloading sounds a bit like what ATI does... it's a software solution provided by the maker of the card... and is mostly there for a user friendly sort of way to "get the most" out of your hardware... IMHO totally usless all you need is a driver, but if it works...

ATI isn't the only motherboard that uses Realtek AC97 onboard audio and that's why I am asking which motherboard. I have an MSI motherboard and use that same audio. I have been successful at getting it to work. Liz

hey.

i'm not too clued up on hardware but i ran bios and from what i can see it's an AMD K7 Duron 1000MHz. not sure how much of that makes sense or if i'm right, it just seems like it is.

and yes, this program is terrible. the readme says stuff about inserting the cd for it, which is ridiculous since i downloaded it. just a straight forward driver would do but no-one seems to have one. i think i'll make a website you can download it from when i get this to work. it sounds like i'm not alone.

ok, this seems like it will contain the relevant information..

Operating System: Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222)
System Model Asset Tag: 0123ABC
Processor (a): 1000 megahertz AMD Duron
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
64 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Main Circuit Board (b): Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 062710 07/15/97

if i bought a new sound card would i just plug it in and install it without problems or would i have to like, disable the old one or something?

is this a brand of computers... like say a Dell, Gateway, Sony.... ect.? if so, what's the model #?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom