Question regarding Creative Inspire p7800 speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdv011

Solid State Member
Can anyone tell me if the Creative Inspire p7800 speakers support DTS and LPCM playback up to it's highest format?

I have my Playstation 3 hooked up to my computer using a digital optical cable and I am trying to take full advantage of what the audio quality. With what my PS3's audio is set at right now is the lowest possible quality. There are several other formats I can us however including DTS and several other LPCM formats that are not currently su pported by my sound card. However that is something that can be allievated by extra software. I just bought WinDVD 9 plus blu-ray so i will have those formats on my computer and now I just need to know if these speakers will support the playback. Can anyone help?

The speakers will support surround sound. You will need to find a source that can decode it though. The speakers are not digital singal decoders. Need to get a sound card that can do that for you or put your sound thru a reciever to the PC.

those are not really the kind of speakers you would hook up to a PS3.. but anyway..

Speakers will play back whatever there told to playback in any type, DTS, Dolby pro Logic, etc etc, unless any digital decoding is done within the speaker itself - like Logitech Z series.

I do have a pcie x-fi creative soundblaster card, the problem is I just didn't have the codecs (or whatever) before to use dts and some of the other linear formats. at least i think that was the problem....

my ps3 is hooked up to my computer's sound card with it's digital optical cable and it's connected to my 720p monitor with the hdmi cable sent to a dvi-switcher using a hdmi to dvi adaptor. when i set it up originally, i had nothing but a loud static like noise coming out of the speakers because all the formats for linear and dolby output were selected on the ps3. it was then that I realized not all of those formats were supported by my current sound card configuration. i turned off a lot of those format so i could get good quality sound but i wanted more. so i did a little research and it looks like the sound card just didn't come with all the codecs (again i say 'or whatever' because I don't know if that's the right term) needed to support the ps3 completly... go figure. hence I just recently bought windvd 9 plus blu-ray to get those codecs for my sound card because to my understanding the sound card should support dts at least, but I don't know if it will handle all the linear outputs.

i really just am hoping that the speakers won't be giving my a headache with the noise like before when i finally install windvd.

so now i am wondering, will the sound card decode the signal with the new codecs and what computer speakers should i use if i am running my sound through my computer for the playstation?

btw... this was all done so that i could avoid the expense of buying a hdtv just to play my ps3 because well... i'm poor! :(

alright so i installed the program and everything seems to be working fine except that when I turn on the Dolby Digital surround sound, i get some static when i try to play games or the ps3 starts up.

is there something in my card I need to turn on in some setting somewhere so it will work properly?

i may have said before i am using a PCIe x-fi soundblaster and if anyone can help i'd appreciate it.

Static is pretty unavoidable on PC speakers. there so close to other devices, it's pretty hard to do without expensive speaker cables etc etc. Unless it's really quite noticeable, then you may want to send the speakers back.

two things.

one it's pretty noticable and it's only when I turn my ps3's audio output to dolby digital that it becomes a problem.

second, i think i figured out the problem is with my sound card and not with the speakers. according to the creative website there is supposed to be an option in the audio console in my control panel that lets me turn on the decoder for dts and dolby digital. however in mine, there isn't one.

so i don't think i should send the speakers back just yet.

sorry to mislead you before, it wasn't dts that wasn't working. that's just fine. it's the dolby digital that isn't working. but i am still having problems with getting it to put out 7.1 instead of 5.1 too.

can anyone help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom