Question... Desktop Stereos & typical computer speaker setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
What do you folks prefer? I've always just had my desktop stereo hooked up via auxillary to my desktop. I have yet to hear a computer speaker system that beats it when it comes to sound vs price.

Anybody else in the same boat, or perhaps some die hard fans of computer speaker setups?

i have heard a lot of good things about studio monitors from the forum audio guru's (oreo, ricanflow, ericb) they are fairly expensive though, and on top of their price you need a sound card that can support the input from them.

It's just, when I go to a place like Circuit City or Target and I see a 350 watt stereo system there for 150 bucks with each speaker having its own powered subwoofer, I just can't seem to justify a computer speaker setup.

But I don't know many people who use stereos like I do, so I have to wonder if everybody else has their preferences for a reason I'm not seeing or something else.

I think as good as you are going to get out of the box is the Logitech Z-5500. If you want better, you're going to get into complicated stuff like routing your sound through a big reciever to bigger speaker setups. The thing is most modern recievers dont have the same connections our sound cards have. The only have HDMI, Optical ect.

I think as good as you are going to get out of the box is the Logitech Z-5500. If you want better, you're going to get into complicated stuff like routing your sound through a big reciever to bigger speaker setups. The thing is most modern recievers dont have the same connections our sound cards have. The only have HDMI, Optical ect.

300 bucks for 180 watts?

no thx. I like my stereo setup a whole lot more now. :)

i have heard a lot of good things about studio monitors from the forum audio guru's (oreo, ricanflow, ericb) they are fairly expensive though, and on top of their price you need a sound card that can support the input from them.
I guess it depends on your definition of "fairly expensive". There are quite a few active monitors out there to be had for $150 or less. No special sound card is needed, you could even run them off your mobo's onboard audio via stereo to rca adapter. However, if your monitors have a digital input, and you have a sound card with a digital out, that would be the ideal way to run them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom