Quality 5.1 speaker recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon_brown75

Beta member
Hi there,

My current speakers are the Cambridge Soundworks (ie Creative Labs) Desktop Theatre 5.1 DTT2500 Digital, which are not bad (pretty old now) but they're ready for replacement. They're 7w per channel I think, and include a rarely used Dolby Digital decoder.

My first choice as a replacement would be the Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultras, but Klipsch don't do them in 240V for the UK, and no one sells them in the UK. Ordering from abroad and using a transformer is just too risky for me if they break. So they're out of the picture.

So next comes a bunch of similar spec'ed speakers, the Creative MegaWorks 5.1 550, the Logitech Z-680 and the Logitech Z-5300.

The Z-680's are a bit more than I want to pay really (£230+), plus I don't want to pay for a Dolby Digital decoder that I'm not going to use since I have a home theatre system for DVDs.

From the reviews I've read of the Z-5300 (£150) they sound a little unbalanced, like the sub is way too much for the speakers, and I don't want to annoy the neighbours (I've read this can be fixed with the soundcard bass setting though). Plus I'm just not sure how good Logitch speakers are, never having used any.

My first choice therefore at the moment is the MegaWorks 5.1 (£180).

So my question is - are these a definite upgrade to my DTT2500s? An upgrade in power is handy and means they won't distort at louder volumes (and the MegaWorks defintely are more powerful than my speakers from the specs), but are they also an upgrade in quality? This is crucial - I really want better sound quality more than anything.

Hoping someone can tell me, or just give any opinions on these three speaker sets (or indeed recommend something else).

Thanks in advance,
Simon.

I love both companies, but have Creative 5400 5.1, and i will stick with these for a while.

The one you are after is absolutley phatty. 500 watts.

I would have a go at them over the logitech ones as logitech prices far too high.

Actually I'm starting to move towards the Z-5300 and the X-530 sets from Logitech, just down to the price. I didn't realize but it's possible to get the Z-5300s for as little as £100 and the X-530 for only £53 (from e-buyer).

Given the reviews both these sets get I'm finding it hard to justify spending £180 on the MegaWorks. My current speakers are only 7W per channel, same as the X-530s, and they're definitely loud enough for me, plus it's for a small room with all the speakers within about a metre of me, and it's for games rather than movies.

And compared to my speakers the Z-5300 are mega loud (35W per channel). They look very tempting at £100 and with the THX certification, I'd guess they'd have to sound better than what I've got now.

The Logitech prices are starting to drop...i think the Z-680 has dropped a fair bit
As you said there's not point paying for decoders if you dont use them....I bought the Z-680 about a year ago and ive got it connected to everything and i use the Dolby Digital and DTS decoders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom