Q: XP on Flash Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pytho

Beta member
I'm trying to install Windows XP on a Flash Drive so I can install it on my sister's laptop. It's kind of old and doesn't have a cd drive built in, and she left her external one in her apartment 2,000 miles away. :/ So the only way to reformat her computer is to do it this way, which has turned out to be really frustrating.

I've been following this guide and other ones that have very similar directions.

Here's the steps I have completed:

1. extract usb_prep8 and bootsect
2. In usb_prep8 folder. Double click usb_prep8.cmd. Cmd prompt opens.
3. Press any key to continue. A PeToUSB window opens.
4. Click Start.
5. Don't close any windows.
6. Open cmd -> Go to bootsect.exe directory [which is in cd C:WINDOWSbootsect]. Type BootSect.exe /nt52 E: [ note E: is the USB drive]
7. See "Bootcode was successfully updated on all targetd volumes." Close this cmd prompt.
8. Close PeToUSB window.
9. usb_prep8 cmd box has changed.
10. Press 1 and enter. A folder browser should appear for you to browse to the location of your XP setup files [aka cdrom drive with xp cd inside]

On Step 10, no browser appears, and the usb_prep8 cmd box closes..

Everything has gone smoothly until this step. I've tried doing it over many times, but I keep getting stuck on this one step and can't move forward without completing it. I even copied my version of XP to a CD and put it the CD drive, thinking that was the problem, but it's still not working.

If you've done this before and know what I'm talking about, please help! This is driving me crazy.

Hi, welcome to Tech-Forums!

I've found the easiest way to make a bootable flashdrive for Windows is a program called WinToFlash. I used it for Windows 7 and it worked great, I havent tried using it with XP but it says it works with XP, Vista, and 7.

Here's the link to download it: WinToFlash - Install Windows from usb - Home page

Its fairly easy you just chose the source path of Windows XP then select the letter of your USB Drive and hit run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom