Projector Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Here's the situation. My church wants to suspend a projector from the ceiling. It will be used for PP and multimedia. It will be roughly 65'-75' from the computer that will be feeding it. Counting the additional cabling to reach from the crawlspace overhead and around to the computer, we are looking at roughly 100' of cable. Wireless is out as the lag between the video and the sound through the sound system would be worse than a cheap Kung-Fu movie with cheesy English dubbing. >.<

The inputs for the projector are VGA, S-video, and (I think) RCA.

What would be the best and cheapest way to do this?

Give me some options that will actually work. ;)

You need a booster or modulator in the circuit
I was just reading up on this cheap one (whilst searching for keyword "boosters")
Church you say? Then it must be gold ;) (connectors)

The distance "roughly 100' of cable" (inch or feet is that?)
If you can get your hands on a unit that has ethernet that would be ideal

That would be feet.

I've found a quality 100' VGA cable we are currently looking at. Ethernet would be better, but for now we are using what we already have. Later on we will go with something better, as we plan on adding another at the back of the church for the choir and pastor to see what's on the screen. It will only be about 25' from the media room, though. ;)

I'm not sure if this applies or not
But I set up quite a few Windows Servers in Church organizations (the well known ones)
They had, I'd say, more money than any other business I'd been too, and were willing to hire me every day to come back to these 100K Server and multi workstation businesses

Why not just purchase better more modern equipment ? It is the church after all, they do not pay taxes

Money is tight everywhere. Plus this is not a huge church. For now the presentations will be ran off of an older laptop running XP. I plan on building a cheap multi-media box for the church in the future, but not for now. A server is way, way down the road for this church. ;)

I can't imagine church's using a projector, i don't mean this in an offensive way at all, but i thought all ya'll did was sing and stuff every sunday ?

LOL! You ought to try going sometime. I'm sure there are some in jolly old England that aren't all dried up and crusty. ;)

It's not like we plan on watching movies or streaming video, but we do use video clips and such, and the pastor can use PowerPoint to go along with the messages. Plus PP would work well with various meetings and groups there.

As it stands now, we set up the projector on a stand and have to set the laptop beside it. It is very awkward and cumbersome, and it has to be taken down and stowed away after each use. Once we get it installed we can look at improving it.

There is no cheap way to do this... my church had the same problem. We are working on getting a better projector, but the people who formerly "approved" the current one had no idea what they were doing. Just went to a store and picked one.

You need 2 very expensive converters. You won't successfully run VGA cable that far without problems and RCA is just as expensive and bad quality. The converter will convert a VGA signal to ethernet. You'll run a VGA cable to the box (next to the PC) and run RJ-45 to the projector where another converter will be, converting back to VGA.

All I can say is, good luck. Not a Sunday went by without issues before we had converters. VGA just isn't strong enough to run more than 10-15 feet.

My best advice, sell the project and find an IP projector.

I can't imagine church's using a projector, i don't mean this in an offensive way at all, but i thought all ya'll did was sing and stuff every sunday ?

My mum is a lay preacher, and often uses slideshow presentations and such to get across a point better. She uses the projector and laptop she gets from work, tho.

Thanks, Crysalis. I was sort of afraid of that. :D It's more expensive that way, but it ought to do the trick. Big difference of $30 for 100' of VGA and $60 each for the converters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom