Problem playing DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhode2nowere

Baseband Member
I installed a DVD player, and everytime i play it, it will go maybe 5 minutes just fine, then it skips, and just freezes. no matter what DVD I play, it does that. I've also ran a full virus scan (with McAfee) after I installed the DVD player and upgraded to 2GB ram, so I don't belive its a virus. Anyone know why? Thanks

it may be overheating, dvd players are sensitive, might be the software too.......if your using an app that has problems like memory leaks it might freeze, not real likely though

sounds like that might be it, my computer has restarted in the middle of games, i'm guessing because its overheating, but it doesn't happen often. is there anyway to fix that? Will I have to install a fan or anything like that?

well a quick and dirty way to test it would be take the case cover off and see if the problem continues with the cover off

todays computers make lots of heat, it can cause problems

if it stops doing it with the cover off, you will need to add a fan or two to get the hot air out

You can check to see if its your CPU overheating by either using software that checks the temp if the motherboard supports that feature, or by running an app that causes the CPU to work at 100% for awhile and see what happens. An overheating CPU will cause system hangs and restarts, so will a bad power supply. An app that makes it work at 100% will make it overheat if it isnt cooled properly and it will restart or crash.

Based on DVD's skipping and random restarts, Im guessing either your whole system is running too hot, or your CPU is. DVD players are sensitive to heat, many home players especially.

Well, I have already ran the computer with the case open, and it did do the same thing.

When I started, the CPU ran at 111 F, and continuously, even when it skipped. When it pratically froze, or skipped really bad to where it doesn't play for 30 Secs, the CPU actually dropped down to 107, and occasionally 109. When I had to End the program with task manage, the CPU usage jumped to 100%, and the temp went to 111, then fell back down this time to 105. The system ran constantly at 86, even up 'til now.

The voltage throughout was basically the same, little difference. the CPU fan is measured at 2812, but i don't know 2812 of what it's talking about.

I'm running PC alert 4, it came with my computer, which has an MSI motherboard in it. the Power Supply in my computer says it's 300 of either volts or watts, I can't remember.

sounds like you may have too many other processes running and its interfering with the the software playing the DVD, may have viruses or other bad things too, hard to say........strange that its an intermittent problem though, what software are you using to play the DVD?

I'm using BlazeDVD Pro. It acts exactly the same when I am only running the DVD player. It has ran exactly the same on Windows media player as well. Could it be the DVD player itself, and can't read anything well enough? It was from my dads only G3 apple (didn't come with the computer, was added later)

its entirely possible it is the dvd player itself yes, seems like youve eliminated most of the other problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom