problem with id3 2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

necrophyte

Baseband Member
im using id3-tagit (ID3-TagIT - THE ID3-Tag-Editor for MP3) and everything works fine except some mp3s which have the id3 version 2.2 (the rest is 2.4 - i converted them from 2.3 using id3-tagit).

the problem is that the tag changes i want to apply cannot be saved (although id3-tagit doesnt write an error report below after renaming them, which occurs in case theyre eg. write protected). i want to set the tags according to the filenames (<A> - <T> [artist - title]), but after refreshing upon completed tag changes the tags revert back to the old data. i even checked all the ignore write protection and read-only etc. boxes, verified that all the files arent read-only, and still id3-tagit (and some other programs i tried that with as well) couldnt change the tags according to the filenames.

so then i checked the id3 versions of the problem files and voila - each of them has id3 ver. 2.2; all the others where renaming works fine have 2.4.

so my question, is there a program which can convert the id3 ver. 2.2 to 2.3 (or 2.4)? since id3-tagit (and many other such programs) can convert 2.3 to 2.4, it doesnt matter, i just need an upgrade from 2.2.

if there isnt - what should i do? can i somehow "reset" the id3 tags and create them freshly? i know using the right-click > properties > summary > advanced function in windows explorer works, but there are quite a lot of files i need to change..

thx

PS: just another question, but im quite sure theres no help with this... after ive changed all the id3 tags according to the filenames, the date modified attributes changed as well. since i got some 3,8k files, it was quite useful being able to sort them according to the date modified (date created not since i moved them from one partition to another some time ago) to see the order i got them, but now i can only sort them alphabetically.. can i set the date modified attributes somehow back to an earlier state (1 before the first mass-id3-tag-change)? when i did that giant id3 tag change i didnt think about the chance of that issue... and didnt see that id3-tagit has an option of not changing the date attributes when changing the tags and filenames... :eek:

I'd do some googling or maybe hope that someone knows (or cares) about all the metadata that accompanies music files (but I strongly suggest using google).

I personally don't mess a lot with the tags. But it surely is better to keep things organized particularly in ways that we like.

i searched a lot but i only found software that converts 2.3 to 2.4 like id3-tagit does, not 2.2 to 2.3 or 2.4... i just need that kinda organizing for my ipod since i only took care about the filenames before and not the tags, but since im using the ipod quite often now (car), i need to organize the tags as well.. ill just try to edit all the bads manually in win explorer, thats the only certain solution

well, now ive solved it... just did as i said - wrote all the necessary tag information in windows explorer (right-click > properties > summary > advanced > [type in..] > apply) and that made the id3 version jump to 2.3, so then id3-tagit was able to do the usual job

musicmatch would save you time and effort as it does if for you. anybody can do one at a time, but mmjb can do about 50-100 at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom