Pretty new to MP3 players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: well since the ipod thread didn't reopen

I'm on my third iPod but I don't fall into either of those definite groups. The only real reason I buy them is because of the massive community support behind them. I don't really like them and think they crash far too often and are not worth the money. I don't hate them by any means either. They do have great features and are very easy to use and transfer songs onto. iPod's have two very even sides in which to balance.

Not to refute you Eric. But iPod wasnt the only MP3 player responsilbe for this. There were plenty of other MP3 players out there at the time with iPod it was just the iPod that was so popular.

While everyone else had a iPod i bought a SanDisk Flash MP3 player. Worked jsut like a Shuffle did. There were plenty of others out there as well from Creative, iRiver and so on.

To give iPod all the credit for the development and the way the MP3 player market has went is not right. Cause iPod did not do it all by themselves. They took ideas from some of the other players by Creative and SanDisk. As well as those competitors helped drop the prices of the iPod.

Then Microsoft finally got into it with the Zune right before the Touch and added WiFi. Yes the Zune WiFi was limited at first. But it still gave the iPod and Apple grounds to add WiFi to their iPods and make them even better.

iPods did not do it on their own. They had a lot of help from other players and companies to make one of the best MP3 players out on the market. I dont hate them but i dont love them. I have used them and i have worked with them. But i have my Zune and i will live with that. I jsut dont agree with iPods being the leader of the pack for everything. It isnt true.

I have seen MP3 players on the market jsut as long as i have seen iPods on the market. I have seen iPods take options from other players and i have seen other players take options from iPods.

To give all credit to the iPod would be like giving all credit to Microsoft for the development of the Operating System. Which we all know isnt true.

I bought my wife a Shuffle (2nd gen), and bought myself a Creative Zen Stone+. The Stone romps the Shuffle... more storage, more features, an actual screen. Had I known this beforehand, I would have bought her a Stone and had an Apple-free house. ;)

Nothing wrong with the various iPods, but all it is is a name and nothing else.

I didn't say that they don't deserve all of the credit, but they deserve a lot more credit than they get, which is none. think about it. 5-6 years ago there was ipods and then was everything else, which wasn't much. nobody else was selling million of players which enlighten the public to mp3 players, while also making cd walkman's obsolete.

I remember my creative player that I had way back then. it just died for no reason and I know how to take care of stuff. it crapped while I was adding music. I know that ipod stole some ideas from creative (I don't know about them stealing idea from sandisc). I'm a person that remember history.

I'm not posting this thread to say that the ipod is king of the mp3 players. I'm posting it to say respect the ipod.

how many time do a poster make a new post asking what kind of player to buy and then everybody jumps in and say "buy this and that player, but don't messed with the ipod because it stinks " while really meaning "don't messed with the ipod, because I don't like it".

I see it a million times

The iPods sound good, eric you were saying in your other thread that Apple need to adress the price issue because there too expensive, but, if you think about it - there pretty much the best made, and one of the best sounding mp3 players, it's no wonder that there as expensive as they are.

The only reason i don't have an ipod is i don't like the way you get round the mentions, and i'm not really the kind of person that conforms with everyone else, So i get the Zune.

I understand what you are saying Eric. As i said my post wasnt to stir up more trouble.

Yeah i tell people to get a Zune. Yeah i tell people to stay away from iTunes. But you have seen me recommend Anapod Explorer to people. If they want a iPod i will work with them and you know that.

You are right they do need more credit for bringing in the MP3 player to the mainstream. Yes people need to stop with the hating of them jsut because they dont like them.

But at the same time to get upset everytime someone says something bad about them will just get you upset more and more. I was that way about Vista. How many times have we seen that? I jsut said to myself 1 day that it just isnt worth it trying to defend Vista to people who will never like it. Maybe cause it is just different from XP in some way. But that is the same thing as what you are talking about here. How many times have we gone at it ourselves over our difference in opinion of XP/Vista?

It isnt going to stop people from hating the iPod. It isnt going to help get the iPod more respect. The only thing it will do is get people to say your a iPod Fanboi. Just as my defense of Vista got me the Vista Fanboi title.

Now look more and more people are trying Vista and like it. Many people will loathe iPods. Many people will love them. Some will just hate the software some will love it. Other will hate the advertising, some will laugh at it.

There is no way to stop or prevent this. Yeah we can quote this thread everytime a iPod topic is brought up but it wont stop anything. People have their opinion.

I seriously do think you are right. iPods made MP3 players main stream. Without the iPod i wouldnt have my Zune. I wouldnt have my iRiver. Yes they deserve that credit. But at the same time to tell people to respect it is just like me trying to tell people to respect Vista. It just wont happen. People are entitled to their opinions. Being the internet they will share them openly and freely without people asking.

I am just trying to say that trying to force people to respect them cause of what they have done wont get anywhere. It will just get you more upset with the way people act. Just as i still try to defend Vista. It is just something that will never stop.

The iPods sound good, eric you were saying in your other thread that Apple need to adress the price issue because there too expensive, but, if you think about it - there pretty much the best made, and one of the best sounding mp3 players, it's no wonder that there as expensive as they are.

The only reason i don't have an ipod is i don't like the way you get round the mentions, and i'm not really the kind of person that conforms with everyone else, So i get the Zune.

Sorry gonna have to disagree with that one. The Zune is very good quality. I have seen it dunked in a cup of coffee. A day later it still worked flawlessly. I have seen the Zune dismantled and put back together and it still worked. The iPods are great yes. But dont say they are pretty much the best made. I have yet to see a iPod go thru what i have seen the Zune go thru and still work. That is just my opinion on that matter.

I added music on my niece's zune last year. I really liked the interface and it's style. she bought it on clearance for 100 at radio shack (I didn't know that they even sold them). I was going to buy one for me and then had a thought

I can't hook it up in my car.

I can now because I have an alpine media player that recognize most brands. but that's not the point. I don't come here knocking the zune or anything else. I special order the sandisc for 40 bucks for the kids in the neighborhood

to me, the best media player is the one that you decide to use for yourself

I understand what you are saying Eric. As i said my post wasnt to stir up more trouble.

Yeah i tell people to get a Zune. Yeah i tell people to stay away from iTunes. But you have seen me recommend Anapod Explorer to people. If they want a iPod i will work with them and you know that.

You are right they do need more credit for bringing in the MP3 player to the mainstream. Yes people need to stop with the hating of them jsut because they dont like them.

But at the same time to get upset everytime someone says something bad about them will just get you upset more and more. I was that way about Vista. How many times have we seen that? I jsut said to myself 1 day that it just isnt worth it trying to defend Vista to people who will never like it. Maybe cause it is just different from XP in some way. But that is the same thing as what you are talking about here. How many times have we gone at it ourselves over our difference in opinion of XP/Vista?

It isnt going to stop people from hating the iPod. It isnt going to help get the iPod more respect. The only thing it will do is get people to say your a iPod Fanboi. Just as my defense of Vista got me the Vista Fanboi title.

Now look more and more people are trying Vista and like it. Many people will loathe iPods. Many people will love them. Some will just hate the software some will love it. Other will hate the advertising, some will laugh at it.

There is no way to stop or prevent this. Yeah we can quote this thread everytime a iPod topic is brought up but it wont stop anything. People have their opinion.

I seriously do think you are right. iPods made MP3 players main stream. Without the iPod i wouldnt have my Zune. I wouldnt have my iRiver. Yes they deserve that credit. But at the same time to tell people to respect it is just like me trying to tell people to respect Vista. It just wont happen. People are entitled to their opinions. Being the internet they will share them openly and freely without people asking.

I am just trying to say that trying to force people to respect them cause of what they have done wont get anywhere. It will just get you more upset with the way people act. Just as i still try to defend Vista. It is just something that will never stop.

Sorry gonna have to disagree with that one. The Zune is very good quality. I have seen it dunked in a cup of coffee. A day later it still worked flawlessly. I have seen the Zune dismantled and put back together and it still worked. The iPods are great yes. But dont say they are pretty much the best made. I have yet to see a iPod go thru what i have seen the Zune go thru and still work. That is just my opinion on that matter.

I can see that point

Ive merged erics thread with this one, lets try to keep it open this time.

I'm on my third iPod but I don't fall into either of those definite groups. The only real reason I buy them is because of the massive community support behind them. I don't really like them and think they crash far too often and are not worth the money. I don't hate them by any means either. They do have great features and are very easy to use and transfer songs onto. iPod's have two very even sides in which to balance.

That surprises me I have 4 ipods 2x 4gb minis second gen, 1 ipod nano 2nd gen and a touch none of them crash. The minis are fairly tempermental but at 4-5 years old its no surprise especially as I sue to leave them in an ipod speaker dock charging allday its amazing that the battery still holds a charge even if it does randomly cut out after showing 3/4 battery then turn it on 5 mins later and the battery is at full :s. My other two are working flawlessly and I don't mind paying the extra for a design I personally find much more attractive over other brands.

Mak, I said "pretty much the best" I do indeed prefer the Zune ;), i think it also sounds better - too. Sound Quality wise, personally, i prefer it to the iPods - But i still think the iPods SQ is way way above average. I also love the Cowon players for SQ, Sony are pretty good too (But not flat)

I find the iPods well made, though (better than most, Creative players are terrible for example). My sisters went through the washing machine more times than i can count without problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom