Is it possible to get sound when connecting a PS3 to a PC monitor with no audio jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iCobble

Baseband Member
Hey everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong section...
So basically I've got a BenQ G2420HDB monitor, which I can connect to my PS3 (Slim version) via DVI-D to HDMI, but I have no audio jack on my monitor. The cable is on it's way, so please note I can't try ideas out just yet. I have speakers connected to my computer (Logitech LS21 2.1), so is it possible to somehow utilise them? Also, I've got an old PC monitor with an audio jack, but I wouldn't want to use that monitor for visuals, just sound if I have to (pretty awful monitor).
Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong section...
So basically I've got a BenQ G2420HDB monitor, which I can connect to my PS3 (Slim version) via DVI-D to HDMI, but I have no audio jack on my monitor. The cable is on it's way, so please note I can't try ideas out just yet. I have speakers connected to my computer (Logitech LS21 2.1), so is it possible to somehow utilise them? Also, I've got an old PC monitor with an audio jack, but I wouldn't want to use that monitor for visuals, just sound if I have to (pretty awful monitor).
Thanks in advance for your help.

set PS3 audio to come out of SCART port with component cables.
connect speakers to a 3.5mm to dual RCA adapter.
connect RCA adapter to PS3's component audio out.

^This. I do this with my PS3, hooked up to my TV through HDMI and my PS3 to my Logitech z5500's. I just mute the TV so all I hear is the sound from my speakers.

Thanks for your response. I'm a bit confused though, how would I connect my PS3 to a SCART port? I'm probably just being stupid, but there doesn't seem to be a port on the PS3 that could be used to connect to a SCART port.

Edit: I've had a look on websites, and I think I know what you mean now: use a PS3 Scart cable to connect it to a scart adapter, then do the rest. Is that right? Thanks again :)

Thanks for your response. I'm a bit confused though, how would I connect my PS3 to a SCART port? I'm probably just being stupid, but there doesn't seem to be a port on the PS3 that could be used to connect to a SCART port.

Edit: I've had a look on websites, and I think I know what you mean now: use a PS3 Scart cable to connect it to a scart adapter, then do the rest. Is that right? Thanks again :)

msg8s9.png

That composite cable above should have came with your PS3. (Red, and white are audio)

Connect that to the scart port* on the PS3. (shown below)
179w5z.png

now buy a cable similar to this one

connect the red and white from amazon cable to the red and white from PS3.
connect other end of amazon cable to speaker.

adapter such as this one would probably work too, if you don't want so much cables dangling around.

*I am not sure if the cable & adapter you referenced would work the PS3. I called it the SCART port because that's what the on screen menu called it when I changed audio signal from HDMI to component.

now buy a cable similar to this one

connect the red and white from amazon cable to the red and white from PS3.
connect other end of amazon cable to speaker.

adapter such as this one would probably work too, if you don't want so much cables dangling around.
Thanks a lot for this post, really clear to me now. Just one more thing, with this cable I just want to check that I can connect it into the headphone socket on my speakers, because the speakers will be plugged into my computer. If not, would this work, so that I could connect my speakers into it instead?
Thanks again.

Thanks a lot for this post, really clear to me now. Just one more thing, with this cable I just want to check that I can connect it into the headphone socket on my speakers, because the speakers will be plugged into my computer. If not, would this work, so that I could connect my speakers into it instead?
Thanks again.

you'll want the second one.
headphone port can only send out signal. not an input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom