Playing DVDs with XP and 2.1 speaker system

Status
Not open for further replies.

infofreako

Beta member
Hi, I own a set of Creative A300 speakers, which are a cheap 2.1 set up.

When I try to play back DVDs, I have a lot of problems with audio playback...the sound cuts out and stutters, but the picture is fine. Oddly, I don't have this issue when I play games.

When I look in the audio set up for XP, there seems to be every available audio set-up except for 2.1. So I'm sure the problem is that the audio playback is coming out wrong because there is no set up for the speaker system. And, yes, I've tried all the other options and none of them work.

Does anyone else have any experience of this problem? Thanks.

Hello,

Are you sure you have the most up to date and correct drivers for your sound card? I have XP as well and i have the option for 2 or 2.1 speaker setup. I also have that option in Vista as well. So it has to be something with your drivers that is not allowing you to setup your 2.1 speakers correctly.

Cheers,
Mak

Hi, thanks for replying.

I'm sure I've updated the audio drivers before but I'll do it again anyway.

I just looked at the original spec for my system and it says that it's
Integrated 5.1 audio with Realtek enhanced software
- perhaps that means that there's no 2.1 capability. Like I said earlier, there seems to be every other option available: desktop, monitor, quadraphonic, 7.1 etc.

It's odd though that there is no 2.1 option given that 2.1 are probably the most popular sort of speaker set up.

My system is a Dell XPS 600 system and I use Windows XP. I've downloaded all the latest audio drivers from Dell and none of them address the issue.

The audio device is a Realtek AC97, which I think is an onboard sound card.

I then went on to the Realtek website and downloaded the latest audio driver for AC97, which is hopefully the answer to the problem. However, when I tried to install it, I got the error message that "Realtek AC97 Audio has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify...Microsoft strongly advises not to install" So, I didn't install it.

Should I just go ahead? Thanks.

My system is a Dell XPS 600 system and I use Windows XP. I've downloaded all the latest audio drivers from Dell and none of them address the issue.

The audio device is a Realtek AC97, which I think is an onboard sound card.

I then went on to the Realtek website and downloaded the latest audio driver for AC97, which is hopefully the answer to the problem. However, when I tried to install it, I got the error message that "Realtek AC97 Audio has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify...Microsoft strongly advises not to install" So, I didn't install it.

Should I just go ahead? Thanks.

install it. it works.

I appreciate the vote of confidence but the prospect of blue screens and losing data is too much to bear thinking about.

Hello,

Now that I am back in XP i see that XP does not have the option for 2.1 speakers. But it does have the option for Desktop Stereo Speakers. Which is what you will want to choose.

It doesnt show the Subwoofer. But at least most of the 2.1 setups go thru the sub anyways so you should still be able to use it. At least this is what i am gathering. My old Dell 2.1 speakers still worked with the subwoofer. I just could not control the output to the sub from within Windows. But there was a control on the sub that allowed me to adjust the output on there.

That might be your only option.

Cheers,
Mak

I appreciate the vote of confidence but the prospect of blue screens and losing data is too much to bear thinking about.

ms came out with this stupid certification process for xp in 2002. the rule were (are) too strict for companies to alway adhere too. so when they make new drivers they don't certify them. if that driver stays around for awhile then they might certify them. I've install over a thousand non certified drivers and never had an issue

some companies will never certify their drivers but they still work on xp. you also have a system restore if it didn't work

it didn't have a realtek icon in the tray bar or control panel? it should. that's where you have to set it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom