PCI sound cards VS integrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augsy

In Runtime
I was wondering how much of a difference a sound card would make over an integrated.

any answers are appreciated.

Thanks.

It can be quite a lot, it really depends on how much you want to spend on a PCI card.

It depends on your need(s).

I'm more into music, amps and instruments, and music software. So my point of view would definitely be subjective. But bear in mind that most of the newer or latest motherboards have integrated audio that are very decent. Some integrated audio are now coming as 7.1 audio.

However, if you're into recording from external sources into your computer, than a dedicated sound card is the way to go. (And even then, there is the on-going issue of crappy sound cards, decent sound cards, excellent sound cards, and exclusive high-end sound cards used by some recording studios that cost over $3000.00).

Also, most diehard gamers and other multi-media enthusiasts invariably use top of the line sound cards in order to get that "feel" of being in the game, or in the movie, or in the orchestra as per sorround sound and etc.

So most integrated audio nowadays can do a pretty decent job of giving good sound. But another can of worms is having integrated audio ar a very expensive sound card being played through crappy speakers. That's another issue, altogether.

Well my choice is either keeping my intergrated 8 channel sound card, or buying a $60 sound blaster audigy 2.

Is there a big diference in sound quality?

Is it worth it?

EricB said:
I'll let you explain why he need a sound card

HAHA!

1. Onboard Sucks.
2. Better performance from your computer overall.
3. Better qaulity... BY FAR.
4. Onboard Sucks.
5. Onboard doesn't do a good job (if they can at all) doing things that PCI cards can... such as 3D Audio... decoding 2 or more channels of sound.
6. Onboard is using your mobo and cpu power to process the sounds; PCI cards have their OWN processing power and they do the work themselves leaving your cpu less stressed out trying to decode 6 channels of audio PLUS everything else going on in your computer.
7. Onboard Sucks.
8. PCI have better I/O options (mic, line, headphones, speakers, digital out, optical out, S/PDIF, etc etc. VERSES mic and speaker).
9. New technology comes for PCI cards. Onboard has been using AC '97 for a LONG time... and they are STILL using it.
10. See paragraph 1.

Paragraph 1.

You know how some companies will bundle some cheap software with thier hardware/software? EXACT SAME THING with onboard sound. Do you really think that the mobo companies are going to really express sound quality over processing power? Do you think they are going to give you top-notch sound for free (or just slapped in there mobo's). They dont focus on sound quality; PCI manufacturers DO. PCI manufacturers ONLY focus on audio... they dont have anything else to worry about! Heres another example. Its similar to when you buy a tv with a DVD player built in. Yes... it is indeed a DVD player... wonderful technology. Does it have all the features of a separate DVD player? Heck no! Its just your basic DVD player slapped in the tv to make a little more money from the unsuspecting public who doesn't know better.

THAT is why Onboard sucks. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom