Onboard sound difficulties

Status
Not open for further replies.

s37d

Banned
I had what I thought was a malfunctioning SB Live! card on my main pc, so I installed it on a secondary pc to check if it was working. The card worked fine on this secondary pc so I uninstalled it. Anyway, I was able to get the card working in the main pc after a reformat.

The issue now is the secondary pc. After removing the SB Live! card from it, the onboard audio stopped working. It worked fine before, just not now. It's as if the computer still thinks the SB Live! card is still in there.

I uninstalled all Creative/SB software, both manually and with Remove and Driver Cleaner, yet onboard still didn't work. I then uninstalled all the onboard drivers and reinstalled them, but still no luck. In a last ditch effort, I rolled back the system via system restore about 2 weeks, to before I even installed the SB card...this did nothing. I rolled it back again another month just incase, but once again no effect.

I've tried adjusting sound options from control panel and also from the "X-Gear" software which came with the onboard card. I also tried disabling/enabling ac 97 audio and enabling/disabling Plug and play devices from BIOS, but neither had any effect.

OS is XP, mobo is ASUS P4V8X-MX, onboard audio is C-Media CMI9761A. Any help would really be appreciated, thanks.

Go into the BIOS and make sure the onboard is turned on. After that remove the drivers for the SB Live.

I've already removed the drivers for the SB Live. I didn't find an option that said "onboard sound" on in bios. I'll look again.

Just looked over bios again, no option for onboard sound, just ac '97 audio, which was on auto. I turned it to enabled, didn't help. :(

Well I built the pc, it's an ASUS P4V8X-MX micro mobo in an emachines case i had lying around. I already used driver cleaner pro to take off all Sound Blaster products. Pretty sure I tried these here(Win XP) ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support- but I'll try again.

Just tried uninstalling everything and reinstall with those drivers from the ASUS site, no luck. Do you think maybe resetting the motherboard via jumpers might work?

It might. Have you uninstalled the drivers and let Windows try to reinstall the onboard?

Well you never said if you checked the BIOS for your onboard sound. You never said if you got the driver. We cant help unless you tell us what you have tried already. This thread was abandoned since May so we dont know anything at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom