This is an odd one (microphone problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugly JC

Solid State Member
Hope someone could help me cause I'm completely stumped. My headset microphone doesn't work, so I tried another mic I had (a pro music mic) and it was obviously quiet, but worked. So I tested the headset on another computer and it's fine. I even tried another headset, and again the mic didn't work when using my computer.

I'm running a Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18 Pro 2 with onboard AC97 sound. Went to the Leadtek site but wasn't clear on which drivers for the motherboard took care of the sound, and being a rank amateur am worried about messing around with motherboard drivers. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

It would have to be the chipset driver, since the sound is integrated into the motherboard itself. If that doesn't solve your problem, try disabling your onboard sound (via the BIOS), uninstalling its drivers, and then installing a soundcare, either from another PC or a new one. That onboard sound is almost always crap and can not always be relied on. It's just cheap stuff. Sound Blaster Live! Value is now only a $30 card and I've never had a single problem with mine since I replaced my onboard sound (also AC97, and I also experienced problems with my microphone)...

Tjanks very much for the advice, it's much appreciated. I've downloaded the chipset drivers, but have got no instructions and the Leadtek website is useless - no guides/FAQ's. I'm just a bit wary with my limited skill on installing the chipset drivers and uninstalling the old ones. Under the device manager I'm not quite sure what is what when it comes to motherboard drivers.
I think the idea of getting the Soundblaster is a good one, but my comp has a three years onsite warranty and even popping in a simple Pci card invalidates it. Will try a restoration point and then have a bash at the chipset drivers I think. Thanks again!

Created a restore point, and installed the chipset driver. Noted that the audio drivers I installed from the latest chipset driver were older than the the current audio drivers. So, I installed them and everything is hunky dory and the microphone works great. Really appreciate the help jorsoft!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom