NTSC Camcorder on PAL TV ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
Does anyone have any idea about whether a NTSC HD Camcorder recording onto SD card will play footage back properly on a UK PAL TV ? The reason being i can get an NTSC one for £100 less than the PAL version.

I understand there is problems with the SD resolution of NTSC and PAL because they are both different, but the resolutions are obviously the same with HD recording with just the framerate differing.

I am talking about linking the camcorder straight up onto a PAL tv via it's HDMI output functionality, i'm not going to be doing any burning to DVD's and that crap.

I looked on google but only really found older stuff about SD resolution on the Tape format, and even some of that information was different.

This might go some way to amswering your question: HDMI - PAL/NTSC flavours - HDTV - Home-Theatre

I'm pretty sure most decent brand-name modern TVs can display most things you can throw at them (I'm no expert though, I've never tried mixing PAL and NTSC, only PAL and SECAM. And that was in the mid nineties). I think it's the framerate/refresh rate that's different with analogue PAL and NTSC standards.

Thanks.

This is the problem i am finding, there is nowhere which just says yes or no it won't. People seem to have mixed opinions, wish i could just find out altogether :(

I think HDMI is HDMI is HDMI.. Just thinking about the fact that (afaik) HDMI is the same signal as DVI and DVI output is the same in the US as it is in the UK (I can vouch for that as I have a US 260GTX (GTX260 - Duuuuhhh!) and have hooked it up to both my 19" Samsung monitor and 32" Samsung TV)...

But DVI is for PC's. PC's don't have NTSC or PAL they are universal.

Seen quite a few people that say all the tv's they've had from around 1999 seem to support NTSC and PAL. So i should be ok.

No, DVI is for digital video, and so is HDMI. The only difference between DVI and HDMI is that HDMI carries audio as well.

NTSC (Wiki - NTSC, named for the National Television System Committee is the analog television system used in most of the Americas, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Burma, and some Pacific island nations and territories) and PAL (Wiki - PAL, short for Phase Alternating Line, is an analogue television encoding system used in broadcast television systems in large parts of the world) are both analogue. HDMI and DVI are digital.

You'll probably find that the "NTSC" in the description of the camcorder relates to the analogue output, if it has one.

Ahhh i see .

NTSC surely still relates to all outputs because of the differing framerates though ? Not to sure. Asked the seller on ebay and he said the NTSC version will work with all modern lcd's/plasmas/monitors. Checked the online manual for my dads Samsung TV, and it said this: Colour System → Auto / PAL / SECAM / NTSC4.43
However im not sure if the online manual off the UK samsung website relates to all models worldwide or just those in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom