Not being able to seek movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra

Baseband Member
i have a few longer movies that i cant seek with windows media player, or even real player. sometimes when i try to open up the movie in windows media player, it gives me the "The file you are attempting to play has an extension that does not match the file format. Playing the file may result in unexpected behavior. Do you want the Player to try to play this file?"
of course i click yes, and the movie loads fine, with sound too. but i cant seek. i have the latest version of windows media player, and there are no updates according to its updater. and in real player, it just gets on "Seeking xx%"(random percent) what could be the problem?

Placebo said:
What format are these media files in...?

.mpg

.avi

?

both are avi, and one was named movie.avi.mpg, so i took out the .mpg and it still loaded, so i guess its an avi also...

Placebo said:
Have you tried using DivX player...?

Found at www.divx.com

yup, just downloaded the latest version right now... divx player cant open them. the error message is "Failed to open file. Please check that it is a valid AVI or MPEG-4 file."

Placebo said:
Hmmm, smells screwy to me then bud - where'd you get these files from?

Don't take this the wrong way but are they legal downloads?

yes they are legal downloads. maybe they were just encoded wrong, or something then i guess... so when i back them up to a dvd-r disc, will i be able to still skip\fast forward?

btv said:
if your able to convert,then yes.

it might not be an avi or mpeg,it could be a wmv.
it doesn't have to have a wmv extention to play it.
open it in gspot http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
or avicodec http://avicodec.duby.info/ to see what kind of file it is.

hm, thanks for the tools.. avicodec tells me its a asf, gspot says its asf(.wma/wmv) also

edit: i also renamed the files to .wmv and i dont get the "The file you are attempting to play has an extension that does not match the file format. Playing the file may result in unexpected behavior. Do you want the Player to try to play this file?" error... but it still cant seek.

i know what you are talking about. many movies i have seen are like this. this is because of the format they are encoded with. i think the reason is because each frame requires the previous frames to render the current frame. . .its something like this.

nothing you can do to fix it unless you play it on a home DVD player. so you ask why it will work on that but not a computer. . .i don't know, these are my observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom