Noisy Recordings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axeman

Beta member
Hi people, a tricky one for you,

I'm getting clicking/popping noises and speed variations when recording from tape and midi files to wav & mp3's

I'm running win98 SE on an amdk6-2/350 with a creative soundblaster live player soundcard and S3 4mb video

I've successfully recorded from tape for a couple of years
but only recently tried recording some midi's for backing tracks
first ones turned out fine but then TROUBLE !!!

the clicking can be heard slightly during recording but is much louder during playback, and it's still there on burned CD played on stereo system

I've cleaned all connections on PC and check all settings, even fitted a new hard drive

all midi's play fine on all players, trouble only starts when
recording, using: creative recorder/wave editor, cakewalk, cool edit or anything else I've tried

any ideas anyone ?

Could it be your tapes? or maybe a microphone? I used to do tape to Ogg and MP3 and found that some tapes just had noise on them. You can use a highend sound table to filter it out, but they are pretty expensive.
The microphone may play a part if you have one. Could be a feedback issue, I guess.
hope this might help...

Thanks Inaris But.....

Thanks Inaris,
but I'm not using a mic. and tape noise can easily be removed in cool edit.

My aim at the moment is to create some midi backing tracks for a duo band, first I edit out the unwanted instruments from the midi file with cakewalk, to leave only bass & drums,

Then I need to convert them to wav or mp3 to be played on CD or DVD player

I have roland VSC (virtual sound canvas) which can directly convert file types, but, it tends to use the wrong sounds, whereas the creative program has dynamite sounds !!!

so I have to play the files and record them and this is when the nasty clicking noises appear, during the recording process.

AS I said, the first ones I did turned out fine, as well as many from-tape recordings I have done over the past few years,
but suddenly, and for no apparant reason, the noises started

maybe some one might Know of a cheap (or free) program that will convert audio files (midi to wav/mp3) directly (Rendering), without actually having to play the file to be converted ?

Thanks again
Axeman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom