no sound in Red Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
when i go to play Red Alert (I know it's old) it comes up with an error at the start saying "warning, unable to create direct sound primary buffer" then when i play i have no sound.

I've got windows XP and i had to install using "run in compatibility mode for Windows 95" I've tried turning that option on & off for the actual .exe in the game, and ive tried using the compatibility mode for all the other windows versions too

it's not a huge problem it only happens in that game

i found this MS DOS sound setup program for it but when i select any sound blaster cards in the list it says "the sound card selected is not compatible with your sound card" then when i select another one it accepts but i can't hear the test sound

i had already downloaded that file previously, when I went to replace it was exactly the same size, and modified exactly the same date and time

and it didn't fix the sound unfortunately

it is a Sound Blaster Live Value

something weird happened, i didn't notice for a while but i had no sound at all. then i rolled back the drivers and it worked; i went into Red Alert and i could hear the sound too

thanks for the help though, maybe parts of the newer drivers are still there and that's what made it work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom