New Audio ONLY computer(help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyman

Solid State Member
Hey whats up guys, i have built quite a few computers in the past, but they have mostly been gaming computers. Well my dad would like me to build him a computer for his audio work only. he wanted to have 2 SATA drives, along with a fast processor and motherboard. I was just wanting to know what kind of processor and mobo i should get for him. I was thinking Intel and Asus. but i dont know what ones would be the best for the job. Thanks in advance. Andy

just remember to get a good top-o-da-line sound card , maybe one that has an digital optical out to connect to a home stereo with better speakers maybe??

It all depends on what hes going to do with it. What does he have in mind for it? audio processing? Recording? Editing?

So many different ways to answer your question.

well right now he does recording,editing, adds voices, records bands and everything with his current computer. but on that computer he also has the internet and games that my little bro has. so he just wants to get a computer just for audio stuff. thanks

It all depends on how much money he has to spend.

You really dont need the "latest and greatest" for audio computers. One of my audio prof's uses a 500mhz for playing back 24 tracks and it does it seamlessly, BUT if you start using a SINGLE plugin to ONE track, the pc reboots.

He could consider getting a Mac (!). Macs handle audio and video much better than PC's. I use a PC only because i dont like the feel or OS of macs. Macs are very stable with audio and most people swear by them. If you go with a mac, i can't help you much further.

If PC:
I would suggest at least 1ghz processor, at least 256mb ram, basic video card (if not onboard, dont buy anything special). I would get around 150-200gb hd and partition it for OS and Data.

MOBO: Most people I know use ASUS motherboards, but it really comes down to preference. Whatever company you prefer, go with it. With audio, there isn't really a better choice when it comes to AMD vs intel. I use an AMD, and a friend uses an Intel. They work great. It also depends on the program your using

Now, for interfacing. How does he record? Does he already have interfaces/pci card for input and output on the current computer?

Try to give me as much detail as possible with what he is currently using (equipment, software, etc).

Also, If you would like, try posting in the Irishacts.com forum under General Music. I'm part of that forum as well under yamaha135. Post a question there asking what would be the ideal audio pc/mac setup for your dad. There are many people there that can help you far more than i can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom