New Audio Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well then it looks like it's the Audigy 2 ZS, thanks for all your help guys, now I just need to find a guy in a Australia who's cheap enough to sell them.

- Michael -

Hey, I have one of the best sound cards you can ever get for just $25-30 dollars. Let me know if you're interested. Sorry, I don't have any speakers but I recommend Apple Speaker Systems -

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...1.3.1.1.0?64,69

Graphics Card - Sound Blaster Live! Card: Creative Labs Model Number: CT4830

If you buy the sound card I'll throw in a great video/graphics card or a 56.K Modem Card free, your choice.

Get back to me soon! mnm2004bft@alltel.net

Syphanx said:
Yeah at the moment I'm running some crap 16-bit one, will i notice a HUGE difference in the sound quality or anything if I upgrade to the Soundblaster Live? Or even Audigy 2 ZS?
Like what will be noticable?

- Michael -

It isnt really the bit rate, most of what I run is still 16bit if it's digital, and except for the mixer everything is audiophile, and I use one of the worlds best sounding CD players (without tubes)

However the SB Live's are complete utter garbage, however luckily not bad enough to hurt my ears. I am using a Live! X-Gamer right now unfortunetly till june, because my turtle beach from like 97' doesnt work in this PC

DJ-CHRIS said:
It isnt really the bit rate, most of what I run is still 16bit if it's digital, and except for the mixer everything is audiophile, and I use one of the worlds best sounding CD players (without tubes)

However the SB Live's are complete utter garbage, however luckily not bad enough to hurt my ears. I am using a Live! X-Gamer right now unfortunetly till june, because my turtle beach from like 97' doesnt work in this PC

Man you don't like SB do you?

If you use the spdif or optical out function, it doesn't make a difference on sound quality. They all sound the same. Your digital processor (usually your DD receiver) is doing the work, not the sound card. ItÂ’s is merely sending the digital data to the processor.

Another thing. Those world best cd players are a waste of money. they sound every bit as good as any good 24 (120+ Signal to Noise Ratio) bit cd player and to 90% of the world, they sound as good as any 16bit (90=S/N ratio) cd player. If you got Coaxial or Optical out on a cd player (16 or 24 bit) and you have a 24 bit DD receiver, There is no difference in sound either.

A dog could probably hear the difference, but not us. Nobody I mean nobody that human can tell the difference in something that has a s/n of 125-130 db from something that has 115-120db. There is no music out there to exploit this difference anyway. Only those spectacular CDÂ’s.

Now most humans can't tell the difference in sound if the signal to noise ratio is greater than 85 DB's. True audiophile's can tell the difference in something that has an s/n of 120db compare to 90db.

No here where it get complicated. Some people claim they can here a difference and they really canÂ’t. It is just their mind having them think, that they can, because they know it is an improvement, so they think they hear a difference.

Other tricks by the industry is to have that super CD player changed inside in certain ways. Like internally in that CD player. They will boost the lower midrange (400-600 Hz), cut the mid high range (1-4 kHz where our ears are the most sensitive to loud sound) sound, because they know that, that this new sound will be an improvement. They will also boost the preamp output voltage, because to most people, louder is better. They will also put an expander / compressor in the loop, so people can hear the difference. Guess what. ThatÂ’s cheating. Because if you do that to the 16 bit CD player it will sound the same way.

Denon is notorious for cheating. They play at high end. Most of their product donÂ’t even make spec when you test them. You might not even have what they say that they put in it.

Naah it's expensive for alot more than 1 reason

It's a DJ CD player, so the feature set is what really makes it expensive

It gets it's good sound quality by a pair of sharc's

LOL you dont give up do you? You have your mind set on what you think is best. Just because you paid a ton of money for something doesn't mean its the best.

For example: In the studio, I have two microphones. They are the EXACT same mic. Every single component is exactly the same... even down to the solder points inside (which are hand soldered). One set costs well over $1,000 and another set costs $400. Exactly the same microphone... why the difference in price? The name plated on it. The Nuemann (high end microphones) mics are the really expensive ones and the Octava mics are the cheap ones. They are EXACTLY the same.

Same thing goes for your CD player. Ok ok, it may have features, but seriously, it cannot possibly sound ANY better to the HUMAN ear than any other CD player. I'm guessing that when you say "sharc's" you are talking about the converters inside? That really doesn't make a difference. You will probably say, well mine is 24-bit and all other cd players play at 16-bit. Still doesn't make a difference... CD's are only 16bit anyway! They haven't invented 24-bit cd's yet. Theres just no such thing.

If there was any difference at all from the different hardware, it wouldn't be noticeable to the human ear, as EricB said too. Dogs and cats might be able to tell, but our ears aren't THAT sensitive to changes. I also agree with the psychological thing. When you know you are listening to a "high quality" cd player, your mind will make you think it sounds better because you think it is supposed to.

I remember something one of my professors always told me. He told me NEVER look at what is being compared. Don't learn ANY of the details. Just sit there and close your eyes and see which sounds the best so that your mind can't play tricks on you. Take an Alesis compressor versus a Yeary (i forget how to actually spell it) with your eyes open. Of course the yeary will sound better if your sitting there looking at it because you know its vintage and is very expensive. Now if you were to compare sound without knowing which sound was the Alesis and which was the Yeary, you would get a true opinion on which sounds best.

oh... one more thing. Just because it says DJ on it doesn't mean its high quality. Most of the time it means it puts alot of color in the low freq's. If by high quality you mean it has good bass, then yes... DJ equipment tends to "color" sound with more bass and midrange freq's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom