Need Suugestions for Midi Recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodNews101

In Runtime
My son is getting into music composition software and he writes his own music. He also has a Yahmaha key board that has Midi In and Out ports that he would like to connect to the PC he uses. This is a brand new area for me. I don't have a clue what to look for.

The system specs are EPoX 9NPA+Ultra socket 939 motherboard, Athlon 64 3200+ cpu, 2 gigs of DDR400 memory, SATA hd @7200, Windows XP Pro w/SP3, and a Sound Blaster Audigy SE sound card.

Thanks ahead of time.

Does he have Sibelius?
If connected properly using the midi (he'll need a soundcard, if he doesn't already have one), then Sibulius can write out anything played on the keyboard. It is unfortunately a very expensive peice of software, but as a student he may be able to get a good deal. Cubase is also very good for any recording he may want to do

First is the hardware to connect to the PC, you need An MIDI to usb interface. IF he really wants to get into and you have some money to spend "M-audio" has a good reviewed piece of hardware.

M-AUDIO - Fast Track Pro - 4 x 4 Mobile USB Audio/MIDI Interface with Preamps is a link to the page of that piece of hardware. (best buy has it listed for 199.99 w/ free shipping, But I bet you could find it cheaper if you looked hard enough)

This next link is to just a plain cable to connect your Keyboard to the PC.
Turtle Beach MIDI Cable USB MIDI Keyboard Cable 39.99 (I like turtle beach, I'm currently using a USB audio device from them)

and if I had to recommend any mixing software that has a lot of features it would be Fruity loops (weird name eh?)

Many different price tags. Have your son go through em and see what features he wants and get that package.
https://support.image-line.com/jshop/shop.php?offer=Default is the link

Here is a full tutorial on how to connect MIDI through USB to Fruity Loops.
YouTube - Fl Studio Tutorial - Connecting a MIDI-Keyboard

**edit**
Just realised you ment composition, I must have just skipped over that word completely.

But I did find you a site with a list of Freeware to try out. I went through And kindof scanned em and I liked "universal Music Machine" says it has MIDI support and seems to have some features to it. Best thing is that its free. But Theres a long long list so check em out. link:
Windows Vista XP 2000 NT Music Software: Computer Aided Composition, Freeware (Shareware Music Machine)
**EDIT**

Also, make sure the keyboard is used to replay the sound, otherwise you will get horrible lag, and it makes the feature i said about earlier impossible to use, as the sound comes out a second after you pressed the key

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom